Complete France Forum

What is the going rate for odd jobs in the garden

e-griff

A young french guy has offered to do some odd (unskilled) jobs around the garden (clearing brambles, cutting hedges, etc) plus some outside painting and woodcutting. He's the friend of a friend and I want to reward him with a gift equivalent to a fair price for his work.

Can anyone tell me what the going rate is for such help? by hour or day, whatever, so I can work out what sort of reward to give?

thanks.

JohnG

To say on the right side of the law, you should pay him using the cheque emploi system. There is a lot of information elsewhere on the forum if you do a search.

To do as the French would then you can give him something equivalent to the SMIC (minimum wage - currently 8.82€ per hour), less the 20% or so he would otherwise pay in cotisations if this seems too generous.

[quote user="e-griff"]

A young french guy has offered to do some odd (unskilled) jobs around the garden (clearing brambles, cutting hedges, etc) plus some outside painting and woodcutting. He's the friend of a friend and I want to reward him with a gift equivalent to a fair price for his work.

Can anyone tell me what the going rate is for such help? by hour or day, whatever, so I can work out what sort of reward to give? [/quote]

John, you pay him the rate for the job and Will has, as usual, explained the system exactly.  If you mean by your message that you want to give him a gift in lieu of payment, that isn't going to work because it's earnings in kind - better to pay him the rate for the job.

[quote user="Will"]To say on the right side of the law, you should pay him using the cheque emploi system. There is a lot of information elsewhere on the forum if you do a search.

[/quote]

Only of benefit if you are resident and tax paying in France...

Thanks all, I shall investigate.

I'm not a French resident, just have had a second home here for 15 years which we visit often as we feel like it (and we spent every august here for 10 years before that touring in a caravan).

Archived