Complete France Forum

Buying a garden tractor from an internet supplier

Martin963

Would it be very foolish to do this?     Has anyone tried it?

Much as I'd like to buy a garden tractor from the same firm that supplied our agricultural tractor five years ago,   the collapse of the £ against the € since then and the fact that their range is limited to Viking means that I can't afford to be sentimental,   and we don't seem to be able to converge sufficiently on a price!

We have a 16 year old Motec (brought out from Britain) and whilst it has been a faithful friend for all that time I suspect that this is going to be its last summer.

So we were thinking of this

http://www.motorland.net/epages/Motorland.sf/fr_FR/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Motorland/Products/19024

We've had horror stories from friends who have bought from the likes of Mr Bricolage etc so don't want to go that way either.

Can anyone additionally tell me if an internet supplier such as the above does all the pre-delivery checks,   fills it with oil etc,   ie does it arrive "ready for action".

Thanks folks.

That one is almost the same as mine, but with a grass box.

I went to a small place that sells all sorts of garden machinery and arranged to have one still in its crate. All I had to do was get it out of the crate and connect the battery. It cost me 999€.

Thanks Bob T,  and my apologies for the delay in replying.

Whilst our agricultural dealer was unable to meet the sort of price I was after,    I did see what seemed a good deal in another Brico-whatever shop in 19.    I gave the favoured dealer a last chance to come near that price,   but with great regret (on both sides,  genuinely) he was unable to get anywhere near.   So I've gone ahead with it,  102 cm cut MTD,  along with a conventional petrol lawnmower (heavy duty,  also MTD) and a little electric (also MTD).   The two petrol motors are Briggs and Stratton on the basis that our old Motec tractor has one and if I can still get it started after 16 years it must be damned well made!!  

Sadly our armoury of garden equipment has all come to the end of its life simultaneously and what with the possibility of complete financial collapse it seems sensible to renew it all while I can.

Renewed thanks Bob.

Archived