Complete France Forum

Pumpkins dropping of off the vine

mary

I decided this year to grow pumpkins. I have got two varities, but both this week, the actual pumpkins are dropping off of the vine.

They range from a golf ball in size up to a large Tennis ball. They seem to have gone black where the flower is and when I opened one of them up, they have gone black in the middle.

Could it be because of all the rain we had last week and the flower got all soggy and did not drop off properly or is this normal. A couple of the bigger ones have almost sunk in on themselves. Perhaps a lack of sun???

Any suggestiosn please

Thanks

Vida

The same thing is happening to mine so I would be very interested in any replies.  I am growing them in growbags (one plant to each bag) and watering every evening and feeding once a week.   They are in a sheltered sunny position with the growbags on gravel.  They have good drainage holes. 

It's the first time that I have tried to grow them.  Apart from that problem the plant looks very healthy ......

Bernice

Hi Bernice, I tried grow bags last year, and was not successful, plant did not grow that well and they dropped off, but were very small.

This year, I planted in the ground and laid a bed of straw for them to grow on. Ihad to stop the plant from growing too long as it was about 3 meters in length. Just took the end off of the Vine.

Interesting that it may be that they have not been pollinated properly. I think the flowers got soggy and then rotted on the fruit. Just needed some expert advice if they think this is true or something else is wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
The one and only Pumpkin that did not drop off of the vine, is about the size of a small honeydew melon, but it has a split in the skin on the top in the middle about an inch long and has sap ozzing out of it....what am I doing wrong?????

If I dont get at least 1 pumpkin to eat or use for Halloween, I am not going to bother next year!!!

Archived