Complete France Forum

planting columbines

mint

I have been enchanted by some columbine flowers growing on the edge of a field where I walk the dog.

OH managed to save some seeds for me after the field was ploughed.

When is the best time to plant these?  What type of soil is ideal?  In sunshine or in shade?  Where I found them, they were on the edge of a field under some trees.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

I didn't know them as columbines, but as aquilegia and they self-propagate in a shady corner at the foot of a wall where I planted some cultivated ones a couple of years ago.

I have collected seeds from wild ones and have been moderately successful with them.

I have ever-increasing amounts of aquilegia growing in my garden; they self-seed like mad.

Since I suppose the seeds drop out around the plant once they are dry (i.e. about now), I presume this would be a good time to sow them in the hope of their flowering next year. Chez moi, they seem to like semi shade, and pretty dry conditions.

Angela

Thanks for the info, everyone, and special thanks to Rabbie for the link.

I have realised that we need plants that are minimum care for the moment as we are looking after 2 gardens, one very large and one a just- about- manageable size.

And I do love flowers and could never have enough of them.

Archived