Complete France Forum

Canning broad beans

CeeJay

Not sure if this is the right Section but here goes.

After a glut of broad beans, which were sown last November, we have frozen masses and still have got a lot more to pick, so does anyone know if it is possible to can (in La Parfaite jars) as I have been told that it is not recommended, but know not why!

If it is possible I would love the pressure and timings please as I do not do the hot tub method!!!!

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I actually bit the bullet and canned about 10 1/2 litre jars but they turned out a reddish colour with gunge at the bottom. Wifey suggested making some sort of potage with them.........but upon tasting they were very nice and definately broad beans!!!! Will probably have to tinker with the pressure and timings but it seems ok. However having now picked the last(thank goodness) I am going to try the dried method for a change.

As an aside, I have been trying to grow proper English runner beans down here in the sunny 34 for about 3 years now but with little success, however I made a special effort this year and have today picked masses of huge beans, my mouth is drooling already!!!

Like you I was getting very frustrated at not being able to grow them, so, this year I dug a metre wide trench about 50cm deep some months before sowing. Used all compostable material to fill the trench in and then added on top some decent top soil. When the little devils started to grow I made sure that they were watered at least twice a day and now I have to flood them very regularly especially as the temp down here has been 30 - 35C for some time now. However what I have found is that whilst there is a mass of flowers they are very very susceptible to being knocked off at the slightest brush.

But, my gosh, don't they taste delicious!!!!!

Archived