Complete France Forum

Rhododendrons and Azaeleas

PaulT

In the correct soil, does anyone know how these fare in SW France?

In the Lake District last week and these were everywhere in gardens in full bloom and the OH thinks they would look nice against one of the fences in France - so if they are OK can they be bought in France?

[quote user="DerekJ"]It's worth doing a simple ph soil test. The kits are easy to use and cheap. For Rhododendrons and Azeleas an ideal ph is around 5.1 to 6

[/quote]

DerekJ is spot on.  They do need an acid soil.  Alas, I have never lived in an area with acid soil so have never been able to enjoy one of my own!  And, they ARE just so stunning.......especially in large quantities and allowed to reach great heights.

[quote user="DerekJ"]It's worth doing a simple ph soil test. The kits are easy to use and cheap. For Rhododendrons and Azeleas an ideal ph is around 5.1 to 6

[/quote]

DerekJ is spot on.  They do need an acid soil.  Alas, I have never lived in an area with acid soil so have never been able to enjoy one of my own!  And, they ARE just so stunning.......especially in large quantities and allowed to reach great heights.

A friend gave me a rhododendron, but it never thrived. Probably wrong kind of soil, I've never seen any within 30km. I've seen a few azaleas.

On the other hand hydrangeas do well in this area.

Look round your neighbours' gardens Paul.

Thanks for the replies.

We do not have the right soil but I did not when I had them before but digging out an area of the wrong and putting some of the right worked last time.

So I will put gardening on the task list for our next visit.

Pat have not seen them in neighbours gardens - perhaps due to the wrong soil.

Archived