Complete France Forum

Lawn tractor tyres

Alan Zoff

Can anyone suggest a suitable material for lining the inside of tyres to reduce the risk of punctures? It's a right fiddle having to repair inner tubes on my Westwood. I have one to do now and thought I would see if I could apply some preventative maintenance before refitting it.

Seems to me these tyres ought to come ready-made with near indestructible linings. It's not as if they are performance tyres for hard cornering on roads. Just need to cushion the ride and be flexible enough to allow grip on rough/slippery surfaces. Probably not a problem for people with immaculate ground and whose boundaries are not made up of very thorny hedges. 

The problem is that most tyres now are cheap chinese shite and they are thin enough to be punctured by thorns.

I experimented with a few different things as a liner (carpet, strips of old inner tube etc) but found that it chaffed the tubes and burst them anyway.

In the end I went back to tubeless and inflated them all with that fix-a-flat type of puncture repair foam. Havent had a flat since.

The aerosol warns that its only suitable for speeds of up to 40mph so allow a little extra time when cutting the grass!

True - I got a large puncture on the big mower and took the tyre off to plug it, and found it to be full of some kind of slime which in hindsight was this stuff or similar. I cleaned it all out without thinking about it as I needed a clean surface for the plug and when I re inflated it and drove it round the yard it went flat rather quickly, having suddenly sprung half a dozen pinholes which I assume were previously sealed with this stuff.

Archived