Complete France Forum

Cost of CC Machines

What is it with me and bank holidays? I have lovely guests all year round then as soon as a bank holiday comes along so do all the no-show b******s! We had a guy from the Caribean book for seven nights, arriving tonight, who couldn't send me a deposit because he had neither a euro or sterling account and I don't take credit cards. Last Thursday I turned away two Belgian couples who wanted 4 nights over this bank holiday weekend who I had to turn away as I already had Richard in one of my two rooms.

On Saturday he very casually sent an email to say that he had changed his itinerary and will now be spending a few nights in St Malo (I hope you haven't pinched him Miki!!) and some time in Honfleur and will stop off with me for one night en route. He's not sure WHICH night yet, he'll let me know when he's decided. Oh WILL he - Well I think I will just happen to be FULL.

Having this happen once (last August 15th weekend) was unfortunate, TWICE definitely needs corrective action, especially as this year I am getting lots of US and Aussie enquiries, and I will obviously come across the same deposit problem time and again.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much it costs in France to get one of those hand-held machines? Is there a set-up charge and a monthly hire charge for the machine? I think it's only about 0.5% commission per transaction, is that right? If I get one from my bank will I have to open a new business account or will I be able to use my current personal one? And of course, do you have to pay more for a business account?

Any guidance much appeciated. BTW I am currently with Credit Agricole and have never experienced any problems with them at all (although I know they seem to be hated on this forum) We also have a local Societe General and a Credit Mutuel, are any of those better for this particular purpose?

Coco

LAST EDITED ON 25-May-04 AT 08:56 PM (BST)

We have our machine from mid March until mid November (after Armistice) The initial set up cost every year is 23.96 then each month on a designated date we pay 17.34. We with BPO for commerce.

We hire now days, as we had paid around 450 in 1998 for a new machine and two years later, bosh..........out of date and no p/ex.

Anyway, the charge is 0.5% plus 0.14 centimes per transaction.
We aim to have it around 8 monrths each year.

Now here's a tip Coco, we have used it ourselves in the winter time when we have not had the machine.

When someone books ask for their credit card number and expiry date plus full name of card holder. They do not know you have not got a card machine. Tell them as soon as they arrive that the machine is en panne ! and could they please pay you by cheque or cash, simple and not illegal.

Any non arrivals whilst we have the machine, the head office of bank in Rennes gets sent a No Show slip, similar to the old machine where you manually rolled the machine over a plate that then stamped the cards details on to a form. Non arrivals are pretty rare, but how happy you are to know, that you will get paid anyway !

The main reason for non arrivals we find, is that some people think that they can travel huge distances in France, then find they have to stop. Now they will either ring you to say they won't be able to make your place and hope you won't charge, well if it can be refilled we don't but if not, then sorry they do pay.

Others simply will not tell you and then complain they have had to pay ! We inform all our guests that we have their card details and that guarantees them their room but if they do not arrive we wil debit their card. Giving us credit card details is security for BOTH parties.

And no, we have not had anyone stay here for visiting Saint Malo lately !!

Miki

Archived