Complete France Forum

All legal

Daisy-May

Hi,

Please can anyone help.  Myself and my fiance have just moved to the Auvergne region to renovate a farmhouse to open up a B&B with evening meals.  We will have finished our works in time for next summer, however, this has left us very short of cash.  We are now very scared about the implications of going legal and what our initial outlay will be.  Being 25 I do not have a lifetime of savings to dip into and therefore would like to know the most cost effective tax scheme to be on.  I have read the previous listings but still cannot seem to find a definitive guide.  I would love to know any personal accounts of the process of registering and how much it cost you in real terms!! 

If anyone could help I would be most grateful.

amelia

Amelia, the real costs to us have amounted to a few extra euros on the house insurance (and a small bit of taxe professionelle). But then we run our small-scale effort as an add-on to our other jobs, hence don't need to register as a business to get into the French social security system, and we don't do evening meals, so the licence didn't cost anything.

Don't pay too much attention to the doom-mongers. There's a book about starting and running a B&B. And remember the consequences of being illegal far outweigh those of being legal.

I wish it was just  few euros!! For us 40 somethings...its over £2000 pounds a year before tax. This includes costs for the french health system plus top up, cotisations and  obligatory pension. Even though we are siret registered the local tourist office will not accept any literature from us so its all down to costly advertising. Anyone who thinks they can open up a gite or b/b and run it on a shoe string..think again! Bonne Chance!

http://www.le-tilleul.com

"For us 40 somethings...its over £2000 pounds a year before tax. This includes costs for the french health system plus top up, cotisations and  obligatory pension."

You're getting away rather lightly, we pay a hell of a lot more than that. But that's linked to the other jobs we do - those who have other jobs shouldn't have to pay social charges again on B&B income (though you have to declare it and probably pay a small amount of tax - which will include a social charge - on it). If B&B, gites etc is your main or only source of income then you do of course have to pay your dues out of that income.

I think the best advice for 'maggiesim' is to invest some of the renovation funds in getting a good accountant, get it right from the start. Although there is lots of advice here, and it will point you in the right direction, only you can completley know your own circumstances.

Not much point in having a succesful business if you are woried about officialdom all the time.

Bon Chance

Archived