Complete France Forum

Two singles or a double?

Cat71

We are in the process of dry lining a bedroom which seems to be getting smaller by the minute.

The room will be 4 metres by 3.30m when finished. I can't decide if 2 single beds would make the room seem very small. A double bed maybe better.

Can you advise which beds are preferred, one double or two singles. It is our only room at present that we can offer as a chambre d'hote so it's important I make the right decision.

Thanks,

Catherine 

I have to say that twin beds do get asked for but in nowhere near the amount of times a double is requested.

Twin beds take up more room than a double and unless you buy quite expensive single beds that are made to zip together, normal single beds are not really very good for use as a double.

If we are busy and we only have one room left, if we say to people, we only have a twin room available, then clients wanting a double will take it for one night bookings but will not want it for longer.

If we say we only have a double, those that wanted a twin will take it for longer (not always) I guess thinking "well it is for just a few nights and we are on holiday" !

Without knowing how many other rooms you may end up with, it is worth having a twin room but we prefer it to be double bed and a single bed in the room and that way you have the best of both worlds. You then have the possibility of the room as a single, twin or a triple room but in this case your room is too small, so I would say, a double would be best.

Thanks Miki,

If we were millionaires, we would be able to finance the 5 ensuite rooms where there is ample room up in the grenier but alas! So for now, we will only be able to offer one room. You've convinced me that a double is the way to go.

Thanks,

Catherine

Sorry, I'm with the poster who suggested twin beds - I have often shared a room with another female but I don't want to sleep with them in the same bed.

If you only have one room available then perhaps the investment in the zip together beds would be worthwhile - that would allow you to maximise bookings.

Good Luck

[quote]Sorry, I'm with the poster who suggested twin beds - I have often shared a room with another female but I don't want to sleep with them in the same bed.If you only have one room available then perhaps...[/quote]

Only one problem with that Gay and I know you will take it in the right way.

You speak for one but when one has several hundred per year, you see the side that matters, the actual figures of who wanted what.

From the point of view that you raised, sure, no competition but, do you know just how many pairs of women we get every year, well it wouldn't take more than one, possibly two fingers to add it up !

The zip togethers are expensive, so yes it is an option as I said before but you do need a constant supply of people each wanting the alternative, not unlikely nor highly likely but then having said that, you can be sure the first people will want a twin room now ! (but it will revert to a much higher percentage of doubles after !)

Are you envisaging people staying more than one night ?  In general if you are married, or to quote Spike Milligan, I did not sleep with anyone during the 50s.  It does not much matter if you are in the same room the same bed is a bonus.

At the room size you quote I would go for two singles. If you have a double bed you eliminate from you market most straight blokes or girls simply traveling together

Are you envisaging people staying more than one night ?  In general if you are married, or to quote Spike Milligan, I did not sleep with anyone during the 50s.  It does not much matter if you are in the same room the same bed is a bonus.

And at what age do you suppose that kicks in ?

We are in our 50's and would refuse twin beds in another establishment, always have done, unless it was for one night and we were travelling on the road and had no choice.

One nighters will soon have you screaming ! anything will do at first but one nighters are the bain of your life in the peak season. It is guaranteed that you will take a Saturday night one nighter and someone else will ring later and want 5 nights starting from the same night ! The trick is getting a feel for the timings, the busy weekends and mid week breaks, especially the vacances scolaires and jours feriés. It all takes time and experience but you must remember to always keep a smile on your face, that is often the difficult bit !!

"A weeks booking from the Sunday certainly, I'll get the book"......."b******d who took the one night booking for the Wednesday"

I know when we are away with friends, they all want doubles and none will accept twin and after many years in the game, we are getting close to sussing it all out but it would be naive to think we know all areas but we do know very well, the ones we have worked and the region we now work in.

The idea of B&B is to try very hard to be booked in advance, anyone relying on passing trade could be dead in the water, unless they have position supremo of which I cannot think of any as I type. Are you sure you cannot put a double and a single along the 4 metre wall, or does that have a door or a window in the way ?

[quote]I know quite a few ladies who travel with another woman to share costs and a bit of company - I'll just have to make sure to give them your address Miki ![/quote]

Bring 'em on Gay,

We have a twin room and two more of our rooms convert quite easily to twin rooms, so come on down all you girlies travelling together !!

Our one little room (4X3.30m) is all part of a greater plan. We are attempting to set up painting and other hols. As our place is turning out to be very expensive to renovate in one go, we are going to use other b&b accommodation in the area. The one we are hoping to use has mainly double beds and is quite spacious.

Therefore, our room, if 2 single beds, would give the people, who are not partners, a more comfortable weeks hol. Or, I can offer our room to a single person and not have to pay my local B&B the single supplement.(Hope this makes sense)

BUT, I don't want the room to appear cluttered. It will have its own entrance and private shower room opposite but if I put in two singles, will not be quite so spacious.

All theory at present because plasterboard etc, still on sejour floor!!!!!

Catherine

I think if I were in your position I would go for two singles. You could always put a shelf above the beds for books and position reading lights just under the shelf then you wouldn't need bedside tables. With it's own entrance and private shower room as well I think this would do nicely. On this type of holiday I think you may well get two friends travelling together, willing to share a room but not willing to share a double bed.

Anyway, good luck with it all.

Gill

I'm with Miki on this one, we get hardly any requests for twin beds and even though we have a twin room mostly only gets used for children.  You can, however, get twin beds which clip together somehow (don't ask me the technical bits) making a double when necessary - and even if slightly more expensive think that would give you the best of both worlds.  Just a suggestion.

Maggi

John and I always insist on a double bed or stay one night and go elsewhere or just go elsewhere for all the stay. Last year I shared with another female to make up numbers in a group for 5 nights and I will NEVER do that again. It may have been single beds but the heater on all night and never a window open - nope, when I travel with other ladies it will be the single supplement or not go.

Before you think I am a complete wimp, I got up every night when the snoring began, turned down the heater and opened a window, I may have been deafened but at least I got some cool fresh air.

We let our twin room as part of our family suite so it really only gets used by children. In the last 2 years we have only once been asked for a twin room for a 3-night booking. In your current situation where you wish to maximise your letting then maybe you ought to look at beds that clip together but they will take up much more room, but it might be worthwhile as the type of holiday maker you are aiming at may well wish to go on a painting holiday with friends instead of partners

Best of luck

We actually have two twins at the moment but are intending to change one of those to a double next time we refresh the beds because we very rarely get requests for a twin and have yet to receive more than one at a time.

We're also in two minds about the triples. Yes, it does give you more flexibility but the downside we've found is that when you hand it out as a double, it's quite common for those people to use both beds (closet twins, perhaps?) which just creates more work for us in remaking the beds and expense in cleaning the linen.

Arnold

[quote]We actually have two twins at the moment but are intending to change one of those to a double next time we refresh the beds because we very rarely get requests for a twin and have yet to receive more ...[/quote]

Arnold,

To stop that problem is quite simple, Tina has some quite lovely bed covers that she places on the spare single bed in a triple room and leaves no bedlinen except the fitted sheet and protector on the bed.

We have a couple of rooms like that (if you include the childrens room in the family suite) and the spare bed spends a fair time like that, until the bed is actually required.

Archived