Complete France Forum

Metro Cash and Carry

We will be registering our business to start trading for the begining of May, but as this can not be done more than 30 days inadvance we currently do not have any official business standing in France.

I want to be able to visit our nearest Metro cash and carry in Caen to see what on my very long shopping list they stock and compare prices, quality etc but without any business documentation or our TVA number I do not think this is possible (or is it?).

Will they let me in to look arround but not buy without any proof of having a legitimate French business.

In the UK we are a registered business and have a VAT number, is it true the the UK Makro is a sister company to the French Metro. And if so will my UK Makro card let me onto the Metro premisses and better still allow me to buy equipment before getting all our French business affairs in order.

Ever hopeful of outwitting French bureaucracy

Diana

Metro own Makro. A Makro store in the UK accepted my Metro card as proof of legitimacy and gave me a day pass (you can't directly use the UK/French cards interchangeably as they are scanned differently). Presumably this system would also work in reverse for you.

Metro here wouldn't even let us lift the leaflets at the door without proper ID, never mind letting us in to look around!

To open an account, you need proof of ID (passport) and your KBIS (business registration form)

One note of caution re buying though: check with your accountant that you can still reclaim TVA here if you've bought stuff before you register for TVA.

Arnold

I have a Makro card. Three (or 4) times I have used it to buy from Metro.

First time minor friendly admin, akin to turning up without yor card in britain.

Second time similar, but they had resreved some stuff for me !

Third time , mor hasle. What sort of business etc.? I blagged it through on their own criteria (Hotel, Gite, restaurant), but with the confidence that the metro web site said the cards are transferable. anyway.

Bonne Courage.

John, have you tried using your card in Spain? I keep meaning to try it as I suspect that the costs are lower as per the ordinary shops (so much so that we buy most of our own groceries in Spain and have the extra petrol cost covered by the savings and then some).

Arnold

No I haven't tried Spain.

The Metro in France is different than Makro howver. Great for the Hotel and Catering trade but less of the TV's, clothing etc. that you get in Britain. (Its not really a wholesaler in Britain is it?)

John

Yeah, I was quite disappointed in Metro here. It is a wholesale in the UK but rather more laid back in terms of the people it will sell to (I find that it can often be cheaper to buy stuff in Tesco!).

Is there somewhere that does do the other stuff here? We've ended up buying the TVs in Carrefour but I'd be keen to find somewhere that did the technology aspect of Makro here.

Arnold

Archived