Complete France Forum

bed sizes

Any thoughts on what size beds we should have?

We inherited doubles which are mainly 140 x 190 but have had one or two people leave because they weren't big enough so we were thinking of going up to 160 x 200 which seems to be the biggest size that you can get here. Our sheets were bought with a view to doing that in due course so they're fine.

We've a couple of singles at 90 x 190 and were thinking of 90 x 200 to match the doubles.

Arnold

Hi Arnold

for maximum flaxibility, we use two 90 by 190. We get suitable sized (180X190) made to measure (very cheap) fitted bottom sheets from Musbury Fabrics) which will hold them together when used as doubles and any suitable fitted sheets as singles. That way, when clients ask for 3 twin bedded rooms, we say "yessir" and when they ask for double beds, we equally simply say "yessir". The only downside is that you need more bedding - especially more duvets. Standard Kingsize duvets are fine for when you're using the beds as a double.

What's best of all, is that you use standard single bed bases (sommiers à lattes) and single mattresses - we use good quality latex ones. Eliminates mites and allergies and keeps the price reasonable.

Most of our guests say they've never had such comfortable beds in a B&B.

TU

Take it rabats are the bits at the end of the cover that you tuck in.  I think they're a bloody marvellous idea - stops the duvet from migrating across the bed during the night.  It usually goes in MOH's direction, and I'm left in the cold. 

When I can I'm going to replace our own UK duvet covers with French ones.

Val

Hi TU,

I don't worry much about putting a 230 cms duvet into a 240 cover. 5cms=2" a side is neither here nor there, nor good red herring.

In fact, because we tend to go back to the Uk once a year, and have friends (ex clients, often) coming over regularly, we nearly always get our bedding there from Musbury fabrics. Their prices are exceptional and their quality irreproachable. I'd hesitate over buying in the UK for items that were consumables, but given that a good set of duvet covers/pillowcases last us at least 5 years, (one of our sets has lasted 10 years so far!") I don't think the inconvenience outweighs the savings and the convenience of having better bedlinen.

I don't like it when they don't fit properly, they slop around inside in spite of the rabat. Really can't be doing with it myself.

Apart from some excellant sheets Carrefour had in once, felt lovely and that bit thicker than normal ones, I can't say I have been very impressed with the bedding I have bought here over the years. I don't mind investing, but I do expect it to last when I do.

Archived