Complete France Forum

How many bedrooms is considrered an hotel?....

Strangely enough, it can also depends on whether you want to call the place an hotel really.

Some Auberges have many rooms and other places can call themsleves Logis, Inns or Auberges etc

What makes it perhaps more important, is that 6 or more means you will have an inspection (well one always did have to !)and also be obliged to inscribe at the Chambre de Commerce. There are more things to think about but Ch d'Hôtes are max 15 persons and 5 or 6 rooms but as I said, 6 rooms will need the inspection, or at least did have to be and I haven't heard of any change.

This is the "legal" side of things but like others on here I suspect, I know of a couple of B&B places that have more than 6 but......

Hi,

We recently visited our local chef des pompiers with the same question. He was adamant ( and photocopied a page from his 'rule' book that once you go over 5 bedrooms and 10 guests you fall into full blown hotel regs.

Best to stay below them unles you want lots of official visits. As Miki suggests I think some CDH may operat with more rooms and more people.

We asked our local GDF about the occupancy levels (10 or 15) and their response (after a few days of investigation) was that the law must have changed and if the pompiers quote 10 then it must be 10 so 'be careful'....

Abi.

"We asked our local GDF about the occupancy levels (10 or 15) and their response (after a few days of investigation) was that the law must have changed and if the pompiers quote 10 then it must be 10 so 'be careful'...."

Not case of being careful really is it, it is more a case that, according to what you have said, they will inspect those CdH with more than a 10 capacity. Or is it for new places ?

Just spoke with our regional "rep" and she said she has no idea, so did our local bigwig. If the rules had legally changed for us members, then one can be sure that GdF would have most certainly informed us by now. Unless the law is so new, the date of implementation has not arrived but even then, we get news of things like this fairly smartish, even warnings in some cases for months ahead.

Not saying it is not so (we are OK, as we have regulations in place, that comply to hotel standards anyway)but if this rule is bone fide, then this will cause a mini furore amongst the larger established places, as if as you state the regs will need to be sorted out with among others a visit from the pompiers, then you can be sure, it will be an expensive remedy !

Ian, what have you heard ?

You can register as a hotel from five rooms; from the 7th room I think you should be registered as a hotel although you often see "B&Bs" advertised for sale with many more rooms (28 was the most I've seen so far).

It's up to five rooms for a B&B. You can have six rooms but the sixth must have disabled access; the reason for this is that "hotel" regulations start to kick in from the sixth room (although it can still run under the chambre d'hote registration).

From a previous thread, I suspect that the 10/15 room limit comes from a conflict in legislation ie the CdH law says 15 but the health & safety says 10.

Arnold

Archived