Complete France Forum

1 table or 2?

I've read on the forum about the 'rules' surrounding table d'hotes. Can anyone clarify the situation for me about tables?

Do we really have to find 1 very large table that can seat all guests or can we have 2 large tables without becoming a 'restaurant'?

At the moment we have a large table that can seat 8 comfortably and 10 not so comfortably. We had hoped to have 2 tables rather than have to get rid of this one and start to hut for one much larger.

Thanks,

Abi.

That is one of the requested "rules" with GdF but as with many rules, common sense has to be taken in to account, not just by GdF but by oneself as well.

You have a room that will take two decent tables but not a full size table for say, 12 guests, then OK have 2 tables to take that amount. Most of the rules simply require a bit of common sense.

Some people wil tell you one thing, some another. We recently stayed at a GdF (4 epis) place that had four separate tables in the dining room where breakfast and table d'hôte dinner was served. However, as it happened we ate outside for dinner which meant all eight guests (but not the hosts) shared one large table (or more precisely two tables put together).

Like everything, it depends how guidelines are interpreted and applied in different regions. Some will insist on one particular thing, others won't be bothered and whatever suits the owners or the particular establishment will apply.

I don't know about the expense, but I always wonder about the shape of room that "1 table" implies. In theory, that means that the table should be capable of seating 15 guests plus, say, five family. Our place is big, but we don't have any room long enough to seat 20 people at a single long table.

Arnold

Inside we have one big table that seats all. Outside we have individual tables, 1M square ones that can be joined and arrange in any order. The reason for this is because people who use the guests kitchen don't want to eat with others. It's great for BBQ's and has loads of other practical uses. If we do an evening meal then we just join them all togeher, no problem.

Archived