Complete France Forum

How much will my insurance premium be?...

Well for our house when we moved here it was €250
Now with a 2 bed gite this year it was €240, the house isnt any bigger than it was when we moved here, just a different layout, we had to draw a diagram to the clerk at the insurance office.

Let the local tourism office know, they will have a look at your property and give any advice and will let propspective guests know of your place and advertise all for free.

I think that is of the "how long is a piece of string" type affair to be honest.

Just ask your insurers and they will let you know. I wouldn't think it would be too much at all in the realm of things but then we have never insured a house as just a house, so do not have anything to balance it against. I know that we do not pay that much more, on a like for like basis, than a French friend whose house is of similar stature but is totally private.

It also comes down to how you want to insure it as well really, there are differing degrees of cover and so I suspect, we are all paying differing amounts.

When we initially bought our house it was insured for our use only.  Then we started letting it as a gite but told the insurance company because we wanted to make sure we had public liability cover.  This increased our annual charge by about 50 euros on a 200 euro policy I seem to remember.  We then changed to chambres d'hotes and again told the insurance company that it was now a chambres d'hotes rather than a gite.  This time there was no increase, just a slight change in the wording of the policy I think.  We have three bedrooms also.

What you will also need if you are planning on providing evening meals is assurance contre intoxication d'alimentation (or something like that!) just in case you decide to try and kill one of your guests with bad meat!!!  I believe it's a must if you want to be with Gites de France.

We pay extra 87 euros a year for 4 rooms and evening meals.  Check that it is in the policy 'cos the first year I paid and then couldn't actually find the clause - they had forgotten to add it - just as well we didn't have a claim.

Maggi

Archived