Complete France Forum

Whats the difference between a chambre and a maison d'hotes

Aly

Just checked a web site of a maison d'hote that was featured in a sunday travel sup. This establishment advertises as a maison d'hote and charges sperate for breakfast and also provides high tea.

i was always under the impression that breakfast is always included in chambre charges, if indeed it is a chambre d'hote

Maison d'hôtes can be rather grand affairs. Some belong to groups like Relais Chateaux http://www.relaischateaux.com/ as well as other smaller places like Guides du charme. They are normally mini hotel affairs and can therefore charge for breakfasts.

It is, as you rightly say, chambres d'hôtes that must supply breakfasts within the nightly price.

Thanks for your reply Miki. I was surprised at how small this place was in the sunday sup. I am in the process of renovating an old auberge into a chambre d'hote. This we have done through GDF and are at an early stage of the works.

However, the greater independence of the Maison d'hote appeals more and perhaps gives us more options for the future

such as reopening the restaurant part of the house.

I wondered if others had thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages attached to both. i know we would not be eligible for a grant from GDF system but this might be better in the longer term.

I don't know where exactly you are ?

From our point of view and what we have, we are far better off with GdF but I have to say, that your idea appeals to me. A resto, if succesful, can make good returns and profits, especially if you can attract celebration groups, marriages etc. Allied to a good inn/auberge it can do very well.

As you say you cannot therefore get grants by way of Gdf but the long term of this new route may well pay better dividends than the B&B route could.

I have a chap who has stayed with us who is a Citroen rep, he owns a lovely auberge and if I can dig his website out I will send it to you, although don't hold out too much hope, I haven't seen his card lately !. He is with GdF for his rooms and just next door he has his little auberge for holding get togethers etc, it is not a resto as such and is only used for bookings of the whole thing, he also puts guests up in his rooms. How he gets away with it, I am not quite sure but I think he promises not to use the auberge as a resto. He does though have a totally diferent room for breakfasts away from the auberge part. As is normal, the regions may often see things somewhat diferently.

Archived