Complete France Forum

what do people actually eat for breakfast?

OK, we all provide quite a selection of stuff for the breakfasts, but what do the various nationalities actually expect for breakfast?

I ask this because we've been dutifully leaving out our croissants, pain au chocolat, baguette, cheese, cold meats, milk, orange juice, another juice (we vary this), cereals, yoghourts and the tea and coffee. But for the last week (with a high proportion of Belgians, French and Spanish) we've thrown out the milk untouched almost every day, never need to top up the cereals and put almost all the yoghourts back in the fridge.

And what about the Spanish? What do they expect for a breakfast, or do they even take it? (I don't think they ever have with us).

And why is it almost always the Dutch who order the English breakfast and rarely the English?

Arnold

ENGLISH BREAKFAST ? We do actually offer one but charge 15€ for it, that normally puts them off.

Spanish you must be careful with as in not generalising, big mistake. You need to identify if they are Catalans, Spanish, Grand Cannarians or Basque because they all eat different things. Not only that but calling a Catalonian Spanish is real insult. Anyway, for all of these you could try leaving out fresh tomatoes, olive oil and posssibly a small amount of red wine, I joke not. Belgians, Germans etc eat the cold meats and cheeses and like a boiled egg or two.

Good point Chris. In practice, as far as I know, almost all (possibly all) of our "Spanish" are actually Catalan. It surprised me no end to find that we actually get a fair number of hits on the Catalan version of our website (lots considering how short it is).

Arnold

Aha. That is why all our jams have been going each morning! We put out a selection of three between two people and normally put two back unused but the Belgians have been going through all three of them every morning.

Incidently, re "Belgians"... is there much of a difference between French-Belgians and Dutch-Belgians (Flemish) re eating habits? I have noticed that the Dutch ones go straight to English with us whereas the French ones don't so I guess there are other differences.

Arnold

Archived