Complete France Forum

Cheque-Vacances: how do they work

Grays

Cheque-Vacances does anyone accept these or know anything about them.

we have accepted one this morning thinking they were travelers cheques of some sort, but having spoken to credit agricole...have been told they cannot be paid into a bank account.

I have attempted to research the things on the net but have got nowhere fast...I am tempted to give up as it seems like i have wasted enough time this morning on what is after all not a large amount of money.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions that would enable us to cash them in or use the things ourselves it would be appreciated....and might even stop us feeling quite as stupid and ignorant as we currently feel.

Gram

I believe you have to join them and they take a cut from the cheques you receive. The best comparision would be that they are like lunchen vouchers given to employees but for their holiday, sort of payment in kind. Personally we looked at them and decided not to get involved as it would cost us. I have to tell you that I believe your your cheque is about as much use as a chocolate teapot but (and I hope I am) I may be wrong.

Sorry

Don’t know anything about accepting them as payment and how you would get paid in cash, but the wife gets them every year from her company and they are treated just like luncheon vouchers. We use them in some restaurants or places of interest take them as payment, you can use them to pay tolls on the highway (but they do not give change) or buy train tickets etc, so you should still be able to get rid of them

Hi Grays,

No need to feel stupid, we heard about them (after having a few guests ask if we took them) and so went to our bank to ask how we could start with them and the staff looked quite blankly at me !

In the end, I asked a local camping and they gave me all the gen on ANCV and we have been with them for some years now.

Very easy to join and to able to pay in. They are nothing whatsoever to do with any bank, well as far as being able to pay the cheques in anyway. They have recently changed their address, so for any of you that want to join and although it is not exactly a money spinner, it is just as important to take them, as it is a SERVICE for your clients, here are the details you require.

ANCV 223 boulevard MacDonald, 75929 Paris Cedex Tel : 0825 844 344

Fax : 01 34 29 52 52 Website : www.ancv.com

You are charged 1% commission and you are paid almost immediately on ANCV receiving the “cheques”.

Alan, are you not mixing them up with Chèque Dèjeuner when in restaurants ? Mind you perhaps not, they can be used in many ways, loisirs, museums, places of interest seem to take them quite a lot, and more especially, in Hotels, Campings and CdH’s. We get asked fairly regularly if we take them, as many French workers have them to use for their vacances.

So join the ANCV, then pay the cheques you have in to your account, et voila. It is no hassle and simplicity itself, once you get the hang of them ! No it is quite easy, honestly.

I've noticed that they are VERY popular although that may be a side effect to us having the sign on the window. One other thing that you get is a "free" advert in their guide which is distributed to the various places that hand the things out and may in itself bring in a few extra guests over the course of the year.

We weren't offered any 'til about a month ago but have since had something like 500€ paid with them!

Arnold

Miki you are right its not the norm for restaurants to take them but this was a hotel as well, and they accepted them in the restaurant. In the main we use them to pay road tolls. But thanks for the information you have given , will take a look at the web site as it might be worth joining, as we have had more French this year, as you say its another service we can offer.

We were persuaded by our local tourist office a few weeks ago, to take a booking from a couple who'd be paying using CVs, on the basis that the TO would cash them for us.

Cheques have been duly photocpoied and deposited at the Tourist Office and I live in hope that I'll see the cash for them before long.  It may be worth your while asking at your TO, if you have any sort of relationship with them.

Jan

[quote]Hi Grays,No need to feel stupid, we heard about them (after having a few guests ask if we took them) and so went to our bank to ask how we could start with them and the staff looked quite blankly at m...[/quote]

Miki ?!

Are you sure the post code is correct?

The Paris post code always starts with 75 so for this address it would be 75929 Paris Cedex.

Also (just an observation!) I knew that McDo (rather McMerde as known to the French)  had near colonised the world but no so much as to have a boulevard in Paris named after themselves!

I like that!

[quote]Miki ?! Are you sure the post code is correct? The Paris post code always starts with 75 so for this address it would be 75929 Paris Cedex. Also (just an observation!) I knew that McDo (rather Mc M...[/quote]

Yes, quite right M.B 75929 !

Not sure that the kids around here call it McMerde ! It is always full (testified by our daughter who works part time for McDo's) in fact they recently built a second one within KM's of the other one, to be able to cater for the extra demand and to catch those that missed them the first time !

Different spelling of course but the way it's going, I wouldn't like to bet against them having a town named after them, let alone a road !

I remember well, when many folks said "No way, a McDonalds here in France, sacre bleu !"

Oh no.............

Well its been interesting so far finding out about this "voucher" cheque vacances system that after 3 summers running a small gite B&B operation we had never yet come across.

But as someone mentioned, we also this season seem to have had more French stopping for a night or two than in previous years, and perhaps less of the other world citizens. And what nice people they have been!!

Once again thanks for all the suggestions and advice on this subject,

its been a well earned one nights B&B that is still not "quite" in the pocket......though perghaps closer than before.

Gram ......somewhere in the (darker than usual for August) ..Perigord Noir

Archived