Complete France Forum

Struggling with sale of late mother's house & notary

Jules Tyler

my mum died in march 2018, i found a notary & asked him to deal with things for me, it took months just to get a reply!

her house has been on the market for approx 2 years now with one buyer in January who pulled out & this month a second buyer who pulled out as he could not get the funds - how can you offer to buy a house without the funds in place - is this allowed?

i am thinking of selling through an auction with a reserve so i can finally get the house sold - can the notary do this?

has anyone else had problems with their notary?

any advice is appreciated - thanks

When I sold my late mother's house I found the notaire absolutely useless. He never almost never responded to phone calls or emails, cancelled appointments knowing full well that people had flown in from abroad especially, and delegated to people who had no idea. We didn't choose him, he was my mother's notaire, chosen (by her) because he spoke English.

That said, we sold the house through a local agent immobilier, who couldn't have been more helpful.

Good luck with the sale.

I am heartened to hear the experiences of other people with Notaires.

My wife passed away in April last year and I have, now, only just completed he acte de succession.

The Notaire on many occasions did not reply to requests to contact me, ignored emails and I even had documents relating to another person sent to me!

Again, I chose this one because he was listed as speaking english, but not very well!!