Complete France Forum

Starting a B&B

Gemma

Well I've had some very helpful advice when it comes to ironing and washing machines (thanks to those in the know!).

Now I want to pick brains with regards to licences for cooking food - table d'hote as well as what we need to get in place with regards to tax?

Getting to the stage now where I'm panicking as we have 8 weeks until we're out there!  Can't wait though!

Thanks for all your help!

You don't need a licence as such for cooking food but you do need a licence for providing drinks, even tea and coffee.  This is a petit licence and you get it from the local customs (douanes) office.  It doesn't cost anything and covers you for tea, coffee, soft drinks and wine served with meals.  And if your douanes are anything like ours they won't even realise that you need one anyway. 

As far as the table d'hote is concerned there are a few basic rules, like, everyone is supposed to eat round one table (you can't have individual ones like in a restaurant or hotel) and you, the hosts, are supposed to eat with your guests - although after a summer of 4 course meals every night you will probably start skipping a few courses.  I have always skipped the cheese course and I think that this year I may skip starters as well!  You are also only allowed to sell meals to people who are staying at your chambres d'hotes (not that you'd particularly want to do more!) and you can't sell the wine with just a petit licence, what you do is "give it away" with the meal but you just price your meals accordingly to take the wine into account.

Archived