Complete France Forum

C.dC Registration,again.

Talk about ever decreasing circles... Last year we were told by the HDImpots is was OBLIGATORY to register at the CdC and sent us a letter from Paris with all the relevant info to back it up.This we did only to find out that if we sold, we would be liable to a sales tax on commercial premises of 26% of the increase in profit of the portion used for letting, in our case approx 25000e. The Notaire said if you are thinking of selling,de-register and don't trade for a year.We asked for confirmation of this in writing, not forthcoming!!! We de-registered, very painless but after a change of plans,[these happen quite often ] we decided that we MAY do B&B again this year.  SO, to try and get the proper format, as virtually everyone we know is NOT registered with the CdC, we thought we would try and get the definative answer regarding registration. First stop our Mayor, who is top dog on Brittany tourism, after 2 phone calls,NO, you do not need to register, just declare income on tax return.[ we pay all the health etc things anyway ] We then went to the CdC to point out what our Mayor said.Get him to ring us, you DO have to register, it is OBLIGATORY.!!!

Each time we have been to CPAM/Radiance/ etc etc they have all been helpful but have all given us conflicting advice. Anyway we will be re-registering. Anyone out there know any different  let us know.

I will say that the good point is that unlike the UK, we didn't have to wait 2 months for a reply.

Still glad to be here.

Regards. By St.Malo.

Am I missing something here - if you are registered for tax - and paying it if necessary - paying CPAM for your medical requirements, why would the CdC care if you are not registered with them.  Our B & B is not registered sith CdC- but we have licence, pay tax, pay cotisations through husband's employment (i.e. don't have CMU) and no-one has ever shown the slightest interest in our registering (I realise that this varies from area to area).  The CdC - to my knowledge - do not inspect B&Bs, the tax office have always been aware of our activities and exact income, I am on local committee for tourism and most B & Bs (not all) seem to be unregistered but legal in this area.  If you are not registered with CdC who would mind if not, tax office, CPAM, Mairie etc.  If they are all satisfied who - other than CdC themselves - says that you need to register and what are the consequences if you dont?

Not being controversial, just interested,as trying with aid of local Pays committee to formulate some sort of guide for newcomers to B & B.  Theis view is that you don't need to register unless it is your ONLY income.

Maggi

Whoops - just read that IMPOTS said you had to register, interesting as they were quite adamant that we DIDN'T need to.  Teach me to read properly before I write.

The crucial thing seems to be that Cerise says they already pay cotisations through husband's employment. So the B&B counts as a part-time secondary activity (I think in order for this to be the case it must bring in less than a certain percentage of the total household income). Gastines, however, does not mention any other employment, so in order to catch you for cotisations you have to be registered somewhere. Cotisations, contrary to what many people think, aren't just the obligatory health insurances that you contribute to through CPAM or some other equivalent caisse. You also have to contribute to retirement, unemployment, professional training and countless other pots, all administered by different bodies according to what you do for a living. That is why, if you are not already paying cotisations, you will be told you need to register. That seems to tie in more or less with Cerise's view that you do not need to register unless it is your only income.

I know Gastines has been around here long enough to know that, so I don't want to teach any experienced forum users to suck eggs, but it is worth mentioning this for the benefit of those who have not actually been there themselves. As far as Gastines is concerned, this is yet another case of French laws and procedures being open to so many different interpretations according to which official or department you are speaking to. Registration of B&Bs seems to be one of the worst activities of all in this respect - as demonstrated here, one person's definitive answer just won't do for another. So I hope it all gets sorted out.

To Cerise. As pointed out,it was the H.d Impots who told us that it was obligatory in the first place.We only went around the whole gamut  again, to see if it was necessary and obligatory. The paperwork forwarded from Paris states that if you supplu ANY service, ie.serve coffee/breakfast/clean the room or provide clean linen, it is OBLIGATORY to register. We are in all the required cotisations inc the excess house ins.We like to sleep peacefully at night.

As stated before,as one door closes,another shuts.

Regards.By St.Malo

Yes - sorry Gastines as I said in my PS I misread it - thought it was CdC who were insisting.  Feel sorry for you as this is not applied in many regions I think.  Don't know if your place is suitable to do so - but would it be possible to provide room only, if you are not planning to continue full time, and provide an area where guests could prepare their own breakfasts - thereby avoiding you providing services.  Don't know if that would work - but if you only want to open for one more season it is perhaps worth a thought.  There is a French lady who provides 'B & B'(?) like that near us and she seems to have plenty of guests.  Might be a temporary solution is you only want to open again for a short time.

Bon courage

Maggi

I expect we will jog along as before.We quite like dealing with the guests and it gives us something to do + some invites back to other areas and countries. The only bit that peeves us is that we have had the aggro of going down this route, without any particular benefits. The St.Malo tourist office said last year that they only promote  C d H if you belong to Gites de France. They will definately be getting a bit of stick from us next week. Fortunately, where we are, we don't  have the extra expense of advertising, as 70% of our trade passes the door and the rest have stayed before!!

Must get back to practising my hospital corners, being married to an ex nurse does have it's trials.

Regards.By St.Malo.

Archived