Complete France Forum

Fleurs de Soleil

Coco

Does anyone belong to this association and is it worth joining?

It seems that their charter is very similar to GdF in terms of what they expect you to provide. But I couldn't see anywhere on their site as to whether to properties are graded with 1,2,3 or 4 flowers.

We once stayed at a CdH where the lady was on the board of the local GdF but had become disillusioned with their bureacracy and charges and was leaving them to join Fleurs de Soleil.

I'd be interested if anyone has any views.  I want to extend my advertising this year but not sure where just yet.

Not the first time, and unlikely to be the last, that GdF has been criticised!  I think like many organisations it varies a lot from region to region depending on the individuals running it.  Our own experience of GdF Sarthe, limited as it is, has been that they are helpful and willing if occasionally inept (like not updating our entry in this year's brochures!).  We don't find the cotisations very expensive, at about 130 euros pa, but then,  we only have 3 rooms.  If we had a complex of gites and 5 rooms it might not look so good.  But that seems pretty good value to us for entry in both national and local GdF brochures, 2 websites (Gites de France and PaysdelaLoire) and the AA French B&B guide.  Though the latter is a rip-off if you want to add even a photo!

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

As already said they tend, although national, to be administered at a local level so you have to ask people in your area. Look on the organizations website for people with English sounding names and call them, the trick is to say you are at the other end of the country (not in competition to them) when phoning. I am afraid in my area the organisation you mentioned did not come out very well although in other areas they do so as a general statement it's vey difficult.

Bit like GDF really some people have problems and others don't, it's really a bit of pot luck.

Archived