Complete France Forum

Ad hoc b and b

Has anyone any thoughts on this idea - While I am in France each month for one or two weeks at a time, I wondered whether to offer b and b on an ad hoc basis - we are in quite a touristy village - just to cover some of our now increased costs. Would I have to ask permissions/pay anyone tax/cotisations etc/ or could I just stick up a sign and if anyone comes so be it? We have a self contained little one bed house in the garden. Your thoughts appreciated. Phylis

Unfortunately the one person who would certainly know the answer is no longer a forum user.

I would imagine that there should not be a problem as long as you got the relevant licence (no cost) from the Douanes, and declared the income in France as furnished lettings in the same way that non-resident owners of holiday cottages are supposed to. I suppose somebody might object to the signs, and some tourist offices will only recommend fully-registered B&Bs, though it doesn't sound as if you want to market yourself in that way.

Thanks Will. No - I was just thinking of a low key arrangement - neighbours ask every year whether I will let out the little house - but the friends we used to own the house with were non committal. It would be nice to earn a few more sheckels to defray the additional costs now that we are the sole owners with extra taxes etc. As it is self contained it wouldn't be too much hassle and I can manage a reasonable breakfast - seemed like a good idea. Many other questions will be following on other topics now we have a free reign.....P

oh freud - speller. rein. humph.

You should be fine. Have a word at the mairie in case they have any objection. As to legal requirements, yes, you do have to declare in France any income from letting and have a drinks licence - the basic one, which is free, is for serving fruit juice, coffee, etc. at breakfast. Also, very important, proper insurance including  responsibilité civile, fire etc. -  check that your assurance multi-risques habitation (which you should already have!) covers you for theft, and add risque d'intoxication alimentaire. Best to discuss with your insurance company to make sure you've covered everything. Good luck!

Jo

Archived