Complete France Forum

B&B advice

Hi, we have two bedrooms and 1 bathroom that we are letting as B&B (obviously shared bathroom for group).

We have registered with the local official  tourist office and they have already sent us some clients.

We often hear conflicting advice regarding letting B&B rooms within your own home regarding registration etc etc.

Is there anywhere else that we should LEGALLY register our small B&B? Some people have said that we would need to start a micro bic or sarl registered company to be able to contunue our letting of rooms?

Surely, as you all will no doubt know, the profit from such letting is minimal in comparison to any profit and inconvenience caused by letting rooms in your own home. If it were compulsery, again, would the tourist office not be obliged to ask for proof of registration or similar?

We do not offer any extra service such as packed lunches or evening meals and we will only let when the local restaurants are fully opne for business. We do have public liability insurance, smoke alarms and contract fire extinguishers.

Surely the French Government and tax office realise, if registration as a fully fledged business were compulsery, a very large chunk of the small, inexpensive, tourist B&Bs would be forced to close (I assume this would meet with a loud hoorah! from larger ventures).

What are the correct rules? We also understand that if you offer yourself to any tax office, they will of course ask you to pay, compulsery or not.

My personal point of view going on what you have posted.

You are legally obliged to declare the B&B takings on your annual tax form. One

extra box to fill in !! In your instance I would not go to the C de Com,

nor the Hôtel des Impôts, as you say, it would end up not being worth your while to even open your doors.

Stay as you are, keep records, just in case the tax people ever want to

see your turnover and wait until the Government and Gde Fr come up with

anything conclusive on how CdH's are expected to trade. When that will

be, is anyone's guess but it is in their hands now.

Archived