Complete France Forum

How to be paid

Jill

[quote user="Miki"]

Having looked at Nochex just now, what is wrong with a Sellers Account ? No charges for joining up and with up to a £12000 per year allowed to be taken, you can take payments in this way.

[/quote]

I think that a Nochex Sellers account is only valid for transactions within the UK.  Okay if you put the deposits in a UK account, but not if you want them in straight into your French account.

[quote user="Miki"]

By taking, like we do from UK clients, full payment only on one nights stays and never full payments on longer stays, would mean a lot less loss to you and if you do what we do, pass on the charge, voila no real loss. I do not believe G de Fr have any worries, about how one takes deposits etc from Brits, cheque or card with charges passed on or not. all our charges are up front, so of course, no illegal hidden charges.

[/quote]

Best not to hijack the thread but no, it would not work for us - believe me, I've looked into it.  Taking full payment on one night stays would have lost us the 450€ I quoted earlier (unless we charged for taking deposits, which I simply do not like the idea of doing).  We have a lot of one-nighters.  That's one of the reasons I said what was true for us might not be true for others.

I thought that GdF might have a problem with charging extra because I thought you told me they might have problems with us putting a surcharge on payment by cheque vacances - I don't see any distinction.

But then there is no difference between taking a UK cheque or having money from Nochex transferred in to a UK account is there ? Same thing  n'est ce pas ??

This is not aimed at you Phil, this is for anyone else's information. You can live in France and have an account with Nochex but monies taken go in to your Nochex account first and then are easily transferred to your designated account in the UK.

But again, if you pass on the charges, you make no loss ? I get the feeling, that I think you prefer to take euros from UK guests in France ?  Rather than take Sterling, which is fair enough but for many others, it is not as practicable. A non arrival, just one, is not acceptable, those that have prepaid, always turn up or it doesn't matter, we have been paid ! Last year, our nearest B&B had 4 non arrivals, never had one until then in 3 years. Our problem can be people arriving by RyanAir or Condor, both can be cancelled just a few hours or so before departure.

Condor can certainly be a problem in early/late season, as the weather worsens, so it is a toss up if it sails and if we have a party booked in, have no fear, the clients will not pay up for a  room that is not used. We had one last year (and the year before !!) who wanted us to rembourse them. They rang at 7p.m to say the ferry had been cancelled and they would not be arriving at the ETA of 8p.m and when I said that we would send him an insurance claim form for Condor or his insurers, he seriously expected us to send him his money back......

We cut the odds down and charge deposits, always have done.

Not sure what I said about you and CV but my thoughts go, not just to G de Fr having a problem but seeing the look on the faces of the client as you charge one percent for taking them. You could always try it and let us know. I wouldn't ...............[;-)]

[quote user="Miki"]But then there is no difference between taking a UK

cheque or having money from Nochex transferred in to a UK account is

there ? Same thing  n'est ce pas ??

[/quote]

I agree 100% - that's why we don't accept UK cheques either, because we want euros over here, not sterling in the UK.  [:)]

And a fair point but with kids still attached to my wallet, we will save on having to exchange Euros to Pounds and sometimes, just sometimes, one can gain on the exchange rate, as in buying by ones UK credit card. Mute point but as ever, it's a case of six of one and half a dozen of another. [;-)]

Naturally we all do things suited best to our own situation [:)]

Cassis - smart woman that Jude - never let Mr Cerise out with real money in his pocket.  Miki - did the little sausage not give you some of the monopoly stuff I printed?

Cassis like you we don't keep or want money in UK.  Understand that many do for various reasons, but I'm surprised how many people are put out that we don't except English cheques - I usually ask if they accept French cheques for their business and the reply is always No

[quote user="Cerise"]

I'm surprised how many people are put out that we don't except English cheques - I usually ask if they accept French cheques for their business and the reply is always No

[/quote]

Ouch! 

I've not had anyone (yet) who has asked to pay by English cheque as we make it clear we don't take them ( I suppose we would in exceptional circs, as we do in fact have a UK account, it's just we don't use it for anything other than the odd transaction of our own so we don't want a big balance). 

We've had a handful (English) who wanted to pay by credit card (though we make it equally plain we don't take those) and a couple of those were put out when we told them they would have to get cash from a cashpoint.  Tant pis.  One said that we must be the only place in France that did not take credit cards.  I could not be bothered to argue the toss so I just let Jude give him one of her "looks". [:)]

No, he didn't, that's why we are having to ask Judy for a few euros, whilst the yellow sausage does a runner, I wonder why ? [;-)]

I know of very few B&B's that take credit cards. It's a matter of costs. We had a machine for many years and it is only recently that we stopped. We bought our one before last in 1999 and it was out of date by 2000 and no re-chipping could be done...nearly 500 euros down the pan. We hired before 1999 and from 2000 to recently but to be honest, although the costs were generally outweighed by the convenience, too many were still paying by cheque and we liked the print outs of guests names and cost, making it simple acountancy but it still ended up half cheque, half credit card, typical traditional French attitudes reign.................

Archived