Complete France Forum

Clean sheets for 2 week stays

Suandpete

LAST EDITED ON 12-Jul-04 AT 03:36 PM (BST)

I'm interested in what other people do about clean linen when guests are staying in a gite for 2 weeks. We make the beds up prior to the arrival of the guests and leave clean linen in the cupboards for the second week. I considered going in to change beds during the middle weekend but thought that it might be an invasion of privacy - although I would of course do it if asked. I have however been surprised that so far this season only one set of guests have actually used the second set of linen - everyone else has preferred to leave the sheets on the beds for two weeks. How do you approach the "bed-changing" problem?

Su

We provide clean linen and towels on the middle saturday for our guests to change themselves. We ask that the "dirty" stuff be returned by monday at the latest, so I have time to wash and iron for the following saturday. So far our guests have changed and returned as requested but we do keep a third set in reserve, just in case they are late.
I wouldn't want to be nagging them to do the housework during their holidays!
Em

Oh gosh

I was going to go in change the linen and make the beds up again for my guests. Is this going to be a bit over the top do you think? I have beds to make up for 18 people. Perhaps it would be easier to ask them to strip the beds and give me the linen in return for a fresh supply.

Comments on this would be much appreciated.

Carole S (16)

Funny this one should come up. I look after a couple of houses for owners in England. They insist on providing clean linen, enough for 2 weeks, here is the bite, giving the total amount of linen require for say 15 beds requires 30 complete sets, OK if you have enough bedding for a futher 15 beds, if the guest changes the linen, if you dont know if they have changed the linen you still need 30 sets, complicated or what, if your owner has not provided 30 sets of linen.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...
We now only have a small place, a double and two singles so I am able to easily have 3 sets of linen per bed. I make up the beds, leave a complete set for them to change, ask them to return the laundry to me when they change and also ask people to strip beds when they leave. This has worked well over a number of years. I would not wish to go in and change it for them in mid stay and I don't think people expect that in self catering. French owned gites I have stayed in simply give you a pile of bedding and leave you to do your own thing.

As someone has pointed out this is not a hotel and the price should reflect the level of service offered.

I have a folder which sets out all the arrangements in our cottage which I leave strategically placed, with a bottle of wine on top, so I am confident that most people will read the 'rules'.

Liz (29)

Archived