Complete France Forum

Theory about the drop in tourist numbers

Paolo

I read an interesting theory about the dip in tourism this year:

It's because of the sensational summer in the UK in 2003. More people decided they didn't need to go to France for good weather in 2004. By the time they realised this summer was back to normal, it was too late.

Does this ring true? If so, it suggests this year's decline is a blip and not a trend.

Paolo

I agree Paolo.  We felt right at the beginning of the year that we could find less people coming because of last year's excellent summer in UK and also that it was SOOOO hot over here.  Far too hot for many guests - upto 42 degrees in our part of SW France for a few days but also high thirties for much of the summer.

Looking at threads earlier on in the year, it seemed that people with gites in northern France were having a good year for bookings, whereas in our area we seemed to be experiencing a much more difficult summer.  What we were hoping for was miserable weather in UK (well they certainly had that!) and not so good in northern France, and now we will let you know if the tourists all flock back down this way next year trying to find some sunshine!

There is still the issue of far more gites than tourists, expensive ferries etc but maybe it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.

Ever the optimist......

Judy

47 Lot-et-Garonne

www.faysselle.com

Interesting theory but it doesn't explain the drop in French, Dutch, Belgian and Italian visitors.

Our August was pretty poor but September was manic and we're still going strong in October and November, whereas last year our season ended on September 2nd!   As far as the British tourists go I think it has more to do with ferry prices.  Many of our guests have told us that is the main reason they left their break until September.

Archived