Complete France Forum

Skiing

Just Katie

Every January my husband and I like to take a skiing break with another family (eight in total).  We usually purchase a package holiday but this year we are contemplating booking flights and accommodation separately.  Although I have posted on gites section, we will consider anything in the Alps or Pyrenees so long as location is good.

Last feb we had nine of us based in our apartment (using an extra studio or two but all dining in ours). Its 45mins to the slopes (or an hour or more if the weather is bad).  But the village (and the spas on the way) is good to return to if you don't want all your evening to be in ski bars.

The people staying there this year tell me its a comfortable hour and a half to Andorra.

You could consider the Portes de Soleil (Morzine, Les Gets, Avoriaz).  They're within 90 mins transfer distance of Geneva, which has lots of easyjet flights from the UK.  There's been great snow for the last two years anyway, it's one of the largest linked ski areas (your husband can ski to Switzerland if he feels the need) and Les Gets is a really nice town, with lots to do for those who aren't obsessed with the white stuff.  www.lesgets.com

I don't know what your budget is but if you saw the Grand Designs where they did up a ski lodge in the most amazing manner, that's in Les Gets!  I believe its about 10k for a week at Christmas, but you do get your own nanny and a chauffeur todrive you to the lifts for that [Www].

Have just realised this in in the Gite owner section, but I know there are lots of apartments in the village to hire via the les Gets site.  Most of the British run chalets do half board, which can really push the price up.   

HI,

I own an apartment (sleeps 6) (ski in ski out, out of residence door to slopes) (within 50 meters of nursery/chrildren ski school) take a look at   www.ownersdirect.co.uk/france/FR1098.htm   

at present our site is down for updates etc but the address is www.skivalthoren.com 

My close friend has (4 apartments) in the resort so more apartments can be arranged.

Need more info drop me a PM

Regards

Chris.

La Vienne

KKK

Have you considered St Martin de Belleville?  It is in the heart of the 3 valleys and an absolutely beautiful resort.  The french like to keep it a secret!  It is very traditional and authentic and the lifts are all connected to Meribel and Courchavel etc.  The best bits are its location, prettiness and affordability.  There never too many queues either and the village boasts a michelin star restaurant as well as the other affordable restaurants.  It is possible to get a fabulous meal a midi  for 15Euros

Pm me if you want any suitable recommendations.

Deby

Archived