Complete France Forum

Non paying clients.

Val_2

Just wanted to post that we are currently in the process of reclaiming a lot of money unpaid for work completed a couple of weeks ago now. I just wanted to stress that if you as an artisan find yourself in the same boat regardless of who the clients are nationality-wise, use a proper avocat to do the paperwork and fight your case,not visit the Chambre de Metiers etc.Your accountant should have a local contact and its not too expensive to start the ball rolling with over an hour-long meeting and then letters sent by AR(119€ TTC) for which we claim back including the TVA. I have had another artisan that I know ring me to find out why they have been asked to carry on when our work was excellent quality and he now is considering not getting involved as we have discovered our clients have a very bad reputation locally and no one will touch them. Don't sit back and do nothing and if your french isn't too good,I am sure you can find help. Taking lots of photos is a great bonus and can beused in court and keep a daily diary of any new developments as well.Too many newly arrived english artisans are afraid of the french judicial system, don't be as its there for your protection as well and by the way, non-payments of invoices invalidates all building guarantees for the client.

Val - I hope you get a good result. I heard a story - not sure if it's true - about a builder near here who had made a new roof for a client and they refused to pay, after a long time. So the builder went back to the house when the owners were out with a few men and his ladders and took down all the tiles and beams , departed with them, and the people were left with no roof. Not sure what happened next!

Archived