Complete France Forum

A pool or not?

Somnus

We have just completed renovating our small barn...32 sq mtrs. Sleeps 4....very nice it is too! Question, is a awimming pool necessary? I couldn't care less as I can't swim but we have had so many coflicting reports and different advice from friends etc. Can I impose on all you experienced gite owners for some consructive advice. We are in dept 47 so weather quite good for long periods.
Thanking you in advance.
sincerely
somnus

www.drugfreetherapycom

We're regular gite renters rather than owners, we've also been looking for a house for a very long time. However, I'm going to reply because we have strong views on swimming pools, namely unless you install a very good (ie expensive) one and give a lot of careful consideration (ie cash) to sensitive landscaping, they can look incredibly tacky. We've seen so many (even in otherwise beautiful houses) that just look like an ugly blue scar on an otherwise lovely landscape.

For me, one of the most depressing sights in France out of season are all those leaf-strewn blue pool covers that dot the countryside. They look so incongruous.

They're not cheap to maintain and must bump up the water and electricity bills considerably when operational. And when are they operational? Although permanent resident friends in the SW claim they swim from April to October, we've certainly never felt it was warm enough in May or September when we've been there.

However, I tend to get the feeling that we are very much in the minority. For so many British people flock to France - any part of it - in search of sunshine and I'm sure that a pool is considered an essential by a large percentage of them. It never fails to amaze me at the number you see in Normandy, for instance. People think France = sunshine = pool, although the same people would never insist on one in Devon or Cornwall.

I'm sure it would be a selling point for you and it would enable you to increase your weekly rate considerably.

Margaret

Archived