Complete France Forum

shock treatment

We have just had an in ground pool put in with Bromine. We had delivered several "free" tubs of shock treatment has anyone any idea when we would need to put this in? do I wait for it to go green? Our PH level looks high but is a totally different colour to the testing kit (it looks redy instead of pinky)
I have checked a couple of web sites but the info on Bromine is limited
thanks

Sounds as though your pH has popped of the top of the scale, so before anything else you need to bring that down by adding pH minus (acid, in other words) until you get something that corresponds to your colour chart. I've not come across a bromine based sterilisation system before (chlorine, saline and occaisonally silver) but bromine is in the same group of chemical elements as chlorine (colectively known as halogens and including iodine and flourine) so should work in much the same manner. I would imagine therefore that the shock treatment should only be necessary once you get seriously unhealthy water. Quite what the advantage is of a bromine based system I'm not sure - I would be genuinely interested to hear what your installer had to say about it.

I thought Bromine was only used in Jacuzzi's? I know it works well in at higher water temperatures but I never heard of it being use in a pool.

By the way, Bromine is now banned in some countries (e.g. Belgium where we also live) as it is felt to be environmentally unfriendly (although safe for humans) when water is released e.g. for back washing filters or emptying the pool.

Chlorine I am fully conversant with, Bromine I no nothing but I know where you will find any information on Pools. Whilst, it is an American site there is so much information that applies anywhere. Enter Bromine into search and I am sure all your questions will be answered.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?N1EE25498

Baz
PS. The above link will redirect you to the correct site, but it make take a few seconds.

Thanks for all the suggestions, i have spent the week researching the sites suggested. It appears that the water is very very hard and this was making the PH high and not allowing the Bromine to be unlocked. We have put a packed of anti calcaire and Ph reducer in and are awaiting the results!
thanks again to all

Archived