Complete France Forum

Natural swimming pools (plant filtered)

peterpan

We are in the stages of having an ecological house built in the Dorgoge and are looking at 'natural' pool options. Apart from salt water pools and ionisation wired pools (no chemicals), we also need to know how the naturally filtered plant pools work. These have the plants in a separate pool that filter the water into the swimming area. Once again no chemicals are used. Is there anybody out there who has personal experience of this kind of pool - how effective they are long term - pros and cons etc? Whilst information is available on various websites,only the 'pros' are highlighted of course. Any information greatly appreciated.

Sorry Peterpan

No personal experience, but I know some people who have. As far as I am aware reed bed filtration still relys on running water.

If you have this possiblity (luck you) then there is a wealth of other possiblities.

But as far as swimming pools are concerned, I'll ask the question to friends and get back.

Cheers

Andrew

Thank you Hendo

We look forward to hearing from you again. Apparently,the filtration pool attracts wildlife like dragonflies (lovely) but frogs as well which pool suppliers claim stay in the other pond rather than the swimming area - hmmmm! Do frogs really discriminate one wonders. And how kind are those mossies? Perhaps your friends have some answers. Thanks again. A bientot!

Peterpan

Funny enough I saw a program about one of these a few weeks back, looked absolutely wonderful.

Apartently there are all sorts of calculations involved and if you do a search on the web there are companies that construct them and also carry some interesting info.

I would love one but at two or three time the cost of a decent sized normal pool it's a bit out of my price range.

Archived