Complete France Forum

Vinyl liner stains

Stefan

Our vinyl liner is of a questionable age ( we think well over ten years). Over the last two seasons we have noticed some black stains appearing on the bottom and we feel they may be growing.  They appear as a black slightly diffuse blob, at worse two centimetres in diameter, with a less well defined "tail", perhaps as much as 10-20 cm long ( the best visual analogy I can think of is a black comet).  They will not scrub off.

We suspect some bizarre fungi/algae/lichen has invaded the liner.....has anyone seen anything similiar? 

!0 years for a liner is a good length time, but provided it is well maintained and chemicals are not over used then it could still have some more life yet. If there are no leakages or tears, I would not worry about the black stains and certain not try to remove with any chemicals or  heavy cleaning.

I had a similar problem about 2 years ago and most of it has now totally disappeared naturally. I am fortunate in having one of the most knowledgeable pool men in the UK who also spends time lecturing at colleges around the country and his advice was to leave alone and not use under any circumstance any chemicals as it was almost certainly coming from underneath the liner.

Whilst, the stains may look unsightly they are almost certainly harmless and  replacing a liner is a very costly expenditure, with no guarantee that they will not appear in a new liner in time.

Baz

Archived