Complete France Forum

swimming pool's locale technique

Fleur

Swimming Pools

Apologies is this has been covered before but what is a 'locale technique', please?

Just had the pool hole dug and there is an extra hole for the 'locale technique'. We are such babies about all this.

We have built a pump house at the other end of the pool but this small hole is beside the pool's roman steps.

Also does anyone have any recomendations for efficient alarms and also pool covers?

Thank you.

North Dordogne

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the comments. We've been very busy, so sorrry about not replying earlier.

In case it assists other people, we now know that this other 'locale technique' is actually the pump etc for the additional water current system which creates a strong swim-against flow.

We're still confused though as - despite requests -we haven't received a facture so we haven't paid for the pool installation yet! Where else would you find someone who doesn't want their money? Also despite a few phone calls and messages left we're also still awaiting delivery of the pool alarm! Will we get into trouble about this?

We thought to heck with it and went into Perigueux to try to buy one elsewhere but were told none available until July - maybe! Worrying.

Yes Manxie

It is a worry, because its is illegal to fill a new pool without a security system being in place and operating.

The company you have chosen does not sound like they are treating you as a valued customer. That's a shame as it seems to happening more and more.

However in their defence, supply of approved safety devices are naturally becoming scarce as the deadline approaches. The lead time for delivery is getting longer and longer. Those people who have not ordered or purchase a security device will find it harder and harder to get compliant and may find themself without one as the new year approaches.

Andrew

The thing I do not seem to grasp is the pool alarm thing.  When we have read the Norms, it appears to us that if you are renting out your property either to paying guests or friends and family you need a compliant fence or wall.  The pool alarm system seems to be a bit of  gray area, I thought the alarm system could tied you over  until you get a compliant fence or wall.  I interpreted the Norms that as from Jan 2006, you have to have a fence/wall.

Andrew is this right.
Deby

Yes Deby

That is consistent with my understanding. An alarm or compliant cover as the sole comnplient protect is not adequate for rented property or gites. They need either and abri or a compiant fence. I'l run of and check the wording and confirm that later.

I didn't think that Manxie was renting though and so is permitted to use any one of the 4 options. Personally I don't think that its enought, but it is a personal decision as its the proprieter who is liable if the matter is tested and must defend their decision.

I'll get back to you.

Andrew

Poolguy

(oh what dreadful typing... key board must need a service)(Mod ... please delete the last....:blush

Yes Deby

That is consistent with my understanding. An alarm or compliant cover as the sole compliant protect is not adequate for rented property or gites. They need either and abri or a compliant fence. I'll run of and check the wording and confirm that later.

I didn't think that Manxie was renting though and so is permitted to use any one of the 4 options. Personally I don't think that its enough, but it is a personal decision as its the proprietor who is liable if the matter is tested and must defend their decision.

I'll get back to you.

Andrew

Poolguy

Deby

I've checked with the Translation and original legislation and according to that, I am wrong.

A rental property, or pool being used by paying guest is treated the same as a private pool. In other words you have the choice of one of the four options: fence, cover, abri/canopy, alarm, in order to be compliant.

However, the regs also say quite clearly that with an alarm that it cannot be switched off and there must be a adult within 3 minutes of the pool at all times to be compliant.

I think that this speaks for itself. Its unlikely in my mind that you might succeed in persuading your guests of this regime if your not there to fulfil the role yourself.

Hence the most practical solution is a fence or canopy for rental properties.

Andrew

Archived