Complete France Forum

When to change sand in filter

Rayring

There is generally no indication that the sand needs changing. The time span is also dependent on amout of usage, but I certainly would change it every 3-4 years. As the cost of changing the sand is minimal you could even change it after a couple of seasons.

Baz

Hi

I talked to a professional guy, who only does pool maintenance & repairs.

He said " the sand starts off crystalline with sharp edges, and is a very good filter. Over time it becomes rounded and doesn't filter so well. And it gets clogged with scale in hard water areas".

His advice was change it every 5 years in this area : longer if you have soft water.

Peter

The above postings are about right, but it depends upon usage and the amount of debris in the pool. Its a health thing, you can decide how often you change the sand. I would recommend that in addition to regular changes that you super chlorinate your filter sand every year.

I might take this opportunity however, to mention a product known as Zelbrite for your filter sand. It will increase dramatically your filtering efficiency from 35 micron with the common sand down to nearly 1 micron with Zelbrite.

In the past the only  filter medium better than common sand was diatomaceous earth but this required a great deal of work to maintain. Now Zelbrite which is a special volcanic sand will give your a better filtering performance with no more work than regular sand.

It does cost a little more however.

Andrew

Archived