Complete France Forum

CLEVER SALES OR NOT?

chirpy

IN MARCH 2002 I HAD NEW POOL INSTALLED AND BOUGHT EXPENSIVE SAFETY COVER WHICH WOULD SUPPORT AN 8 YEAR OLD.COST£2,500.

THIS HAS ALUMINIUM RODS WITHIN COVER AND RESTS ON CONCRETE SURROUNDS AND DOES NOT TOUCH THE WATER.

AFTER A SEVERE WINTER I ALSO BOUGHT AN  EXTRA 7 ALUMINIUM SUPPORTS TO RESIST BENDING DUE TO WEIGHT OF SNOW ON COVER.COST£660.

IN SUMMER I USE BUBBLE WRAP COVER TO KEEP HEAT IN POOL.COST £440

NOW LAWS PASSED  IN JANUARY 2003,WITHIN 9 MONTHS OF MY COMPLETION STATE MY £3,600 OF COVERS IS OBSOLETE.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF I HAD BOUGHT A TARPAULIN COVER I WOULD NOT BE TOO GRIEVED BUT SURELY POOL INSTALLERS MUST HAVE KNOWN THAT LAWS WERE JUST AROUND THE CORNER AND SHOULD HAVE ADVISED POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS WHO HAD ALREADY PAID FOR AN EXPENSIVE POOL TO WAIT A WHILE TO SEE WHAT LAWS  WERE BEING PASSED.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAVE WE ALL BEEN TAKEN FOR A RIDE.?????????

THE POOL COMPANIES ARE NOW SELLING EXPENSIVE FENCES .TOTAL COVERS OR ALARMS.

ALARMS ARE THE CHEAPEST BUT WOULD IN MY CASE THE COVER GIVE ADDITIONAL SAFETY AND KEEP POOL CLEAN IN WINTER.????? E.G. CUT HOLE IN COVER FOR ALARM TO WORK AND THERE WOULD BE NO INTERFERENCE WITH THE WATER LEVEL.

DO I HAVE ANY CLAIM ON THE INSTALLER?SURELY THEY ARE PART OF SOME ASSOCIATION TO PREVENT MIS-SELLING IF IT COULD BE PROVED?????

I EXPECT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE IN THIS PREDICAMENT.

I think someone is having a good laugh with us all!!Security is an important issue and one that I am not debating at the moment simply the reaction by various companies! The fencing is extremely expensive,the old alarms were next to useless. We pay up because we have to and because we want to be respomsible citizens but someone is making a lot of extra profit!!

I seem to remember, back in 2002, that whilst it was widely publicised that new regulations were due to come into effect, the details of what those regulations would be was not forthcoming. I believe the details were not finalised until the last minute and everyone was somewhat in the dark ! I expect Andrew will be able to give you more details.

A cover of any kind is not, however, an ideal solution as a sole means of security if you have a gite or gites as it is unlikely to be put back in place every time the pool is left unattended during the daytime. Far better to look into the options for a suitable fence and you can still continue to use your cover at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

I can only offer that I share everyone's frustration at the practices of some pool professionals in France.

I am constantly facing stories from new clients who have been either sold the wrong equipment by other companies or have been given bad advice or service.

The standards of Professionalism in the Pool industry in France need a lot of improvement in my opinion.

I believe that Customers should be given the correct and complete information BEFORE they buy a swimming pool and understand not only the regulations but the cost and effort required to maintain a pool. I do not see a lot of this happening in this country.

To remedy the situation the backlash should come from Pool owners. There are some excellent professionals in the industry who are not necessarily the biggest firms. They should be supported and the Companies which will not play fair, well ..........

Andrew

Archived