Complete France Forum

What size of sand filter?

Mrh74

I've been trying to work out what size sand filter I would need to buy for my Christal Pool 5:5/60, it has a water volume of 53000 Ltrs or 11300 gallons and a pump that moves about 15 - 17 cubic meters per hour (if my calculations are correct). I've tried to find a filter to fit but I'm baffled and the information I can find on the web doesn't really help much , any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Mark

Currently it's got the filters supplied with the kit, which are 2 cartridge filters, these work well, but are a bit of a pest to clean and looking at spares not cheap about 150 euro a pair, so I figure a sand filter with zelbrite in it will do a similar quality job of filtering and be easier for my chap who looks after the place to clean with a quick backwash. I just can't work out what size filter I'm going to need.

Cheers
Mark

According to Poolguy and I tend to agree.. You will need a filter rate that will filter all the water in your pool in 3 to 4 hours. When you start looking for filters they should tell you the flow rate, possibly in cubic metres/hour. That's how mine shows it. If it shows it in litres/hour there are 1000 litres per cu metre. Sory if this is teaching egg sucking?

One of the next things that I have to do is to replace our pump. 2 reasons, 1  it's  very old and 2  it's only 3/4 horse and it should really be 1 horse.

I've not had anything to do with cartridge filters, but I have heard that they are fiddly and expensive compaired ot sand. The zeolite (Zelbright) will probably cost about the same as a couple of filters, but you have that for a long time... Ours works well.

Thanks again John for your help.

Mark

For a 5:5/60 I recommend a 22m3 per hr with a min of 1.5 cv pump and 150kg or ZelEau. Thats 2.8 hr ciculation - Good.

That will give you a really good clean and your water will be easy to manage.

You can build this local technique up uniquely or there is a Boxed version which come ready assembled and you just 'plug it in'

PM me if you want more details.

Andrew

I'd just like to say thank you to Poolguy for his consistent and valuable contribution to this forum. I find his postings valuable information even when I haven't asked the question. Please keep it up, this is what the forum should be about.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the replies and sorry I've been a while in saying that, but I've been stuck on work things!

Anyway, I have a brand new pump that came with the kit and don't really want to replace that with a larger one right now, it's a BADU TOP 14 which if I've worked it out right delivers somewhere between 3/4 and 1 HP, it's rated as 0.65 kW. Would this run a filter capable of 22 m3 per hour or would it not have sufficient pressure to do it?

Cheers
Mark

Mark

No..... a 3/4cv pump will not utilize the capacity of a 22m3/hr filter

and it will never get up to pressure (1 bar). Your pump will struggel

to output 14 m3/hr with zero head of pressure. I suggest that you

change it for a larger one, I suggest 1,5 cv which should output

between 18 and 25 m3/hr depending on the brand.

If you need help then PM me

Andrew

Archived