Complete France Forum

Draining for the winter?

mike.m

Hi ,

We've bought a house in need of more urgent repairs than planned (including the pool ) and I'm wondering if I can defer some costs until next spring by draining the pool . Its a concrete block structure with a Culligan sand filter( around 10 years old according to the agent ) which has a fibre glass lining and seems to be sound . It cost a fortune for the installers to get it running and we havent had the time to do outstanding work - terrace , margels , security cover . Recent weather has left a lot of debris and the water condition is very poor . So, is it possible to drain the pool  so that it can be properly cleaned before the winter and simply leave it empty , perhaps with a tarpaulin cover . It has a new pool alarm but no other security . Thanks for any advice .

Draining a pool should not normally be a problem so long as your pool can withstand the pressure from the ground without the equalising pressure from water. That is a question I would not be willing to verify unless the pool itself can be unspected and even then, the risk is yours.

With a concrete pool, constructed with at least 200mm thick reinforced walls this should not be of any consequence, as I have done it many times. If the pool has been badly made or there is some fault in the pool due to deterioration even then it could cause damage.

If the pool is made from estyrene/concrete or a panel pool then there could be a problem if it is empty too long especially if it is raining a lot as this tends to increase ground pressure. Resin pools are another worry as they are prone to 'pop out' if there is not enough pressure to hold them down.

If you want to err on the side of caution then drain it by all means for cleaning but then fill it up again and winterise.( per my article)

Andrew

Hi Andrew ,

Many thanks for the input ; yes I'm sure its constructed from concrete blocks and think therefore its OK . I'll go back to your article and do more homework !

Regards

Archived