Complete France Forum

Oh dear, I think I've over-done the shock business

londoneye

In preparation for winter (water temp now 9) I followed instructions for winterising and shocked the pool - only I think my calculations were a little err wrong, because the chlorine levels are now astronomical.  pH is fine !!

Anything I can do, or should I not worry about it, and just let the sun do its work???? (Please let this be the answer !!!).

And I was going to put a cover on tomorrow, but would it be best to leave it now ???    I knew something would go horribly wrong at some point !!

If I remember the scale on the Easytest strip correctly then you have at least 10ppm free chlorine. Is that correct? Alternatively can you tell me the volume of your pool and the amount of Easy-Clear-C (I assume this is what you have used to shock the pool) you have added.

If you prefer we can continue the communication via private e-mail. 

A choc treatment showing 10ppm (but no more) with stabilizer up to 50ppm and ph between 7.2 -7.6 would be fine in book.

With water temps at 9 degrees, then cover the pool after it is lowered

to desired level. If your margelles and all other equipment is clean

then you should open up in spring with a pool wich has only a 'tinge'

of green - easy enough to choc again and your off for the new season.

I would still suggest that you stick to Javel for this treatment, as

its the cheapest and most cases most reliable method of chocing.

Andrew

Thanks Pool Guy and Auxadrets.   Tried to answer your pm but system wouldn't let me !   Advice noted.   

Initial panic over, pool hasn't self destructed over-night (I have a very vivid imagination).   In fact when I tested (again) yesterday, levels seemed slightly lower already, but we have had two very sunny days, so perhaps that has helped.

Hopefully all will be well soon.    That will teach me not to slavishly follow instructions without applying some logic to the situation.    I used to be logical !!     Clearly either being in France, or being a new pool owner has turned me a little stupid.   Perhaps its just the onset of old age !

thanks again.

Archived