Complete France Forum

Suspect Sterilor unit

Just Chris

I have an Everblue saltwater pool, with a Sterilor unit fitted.  I have noticed the salt level indication drop slowly through the yellow segment so that the reading is almost zero.  I have added salt (I think now that there may be too much salt in the pool - over 5000 ppm, rather than 3000) and also cleaned the Sterilor electrodes with dilute hydrochloric acid as per the instructions, but it makes no difference.  Is it possible to have the unit checked and repaired, and what would be the cost of either a set of electrodes or a replacement Sterilor unit?

The pool capacity is about 79 cubic meters, filtration is diatomee.

Chris

Chris,

I have a salwater pool, but not a sterilor unit, I am always concerned about my level of chlorine production, but it is quite common for salt water chlorine generators to give out different readings. They are renowned for it.

One test you could try is to take a bucket of pool water, add a generous handfull of salt to the water, let the salt dissolve, and if possible place the electrodes into the bucket and see if that affects the output. I tried it with mine after to speaking to a pool supplier in the UK.

• 4 months later...
Hi Chris

I got exactly the same problem as you... It is now winter and considering weather to get a new one or not for spring.

The problem was that I have a feeling the thing was not producing enough cholrine, but it is a bit hard to be sure.

The man in the everblue shop tested to see if there was a charge between the electrodes and there was.  He did say that I could purchase the electrode part and return it if it still does not work which I will probably do.

Do you have any update of your sterlior adventures...

Thanks

osie

Hello, Osie

No, done nothing about it yet.  Since my original post I've closed down the pool for the winter, and taken the Sterilor element out, intending to re-visit the problem in the spring.  I had already cleaned up the element in the proprietary way, so it looks clean - just doesn't seem to work.  I also had trouble in ascertaining just how salty the water was (used strips, which suggested there may be too much...).

I still think I'll replace the whole shebang - I was thinking of upgrading to a Steriphor unit which automatically maintains the Ph level, as well as the chlorine, but it's gonna cost a couple of thousand euros probably, and I'm a bit wary about going to those lengths if it won't make any difference..

I'm also wondering about the feasibility of converting from a salt to a chlorine based system, but there seems to be a 50/50 split in preference on this and other forums, so I'm still undecided.

Running a pool sure can be expensive !!

Chris

Hi Chris

I seem to spend all my time and money sorting out the pool... it is a bit of a nightmare but I am hoping to resolve it this year.

I am going to buy a hydraulic pool cleaner, and get the pool producing chlorine if it kills me.

Seeing as the sterilor blue box on the wall costs a fair bit I am reluctant to get another box.  I was told them boxes do not usually go wrong.

If you have an everblue shop in the near it might be worth taking your

device for a free checkup to check that the element has a charge.

And maybe get the option to return a newly bought one if it makes no difference.

Personally, I like the idea of a salt pool.  It is a bit of a novalty and there is all that salt already in there that I had to carry.

Good luck

osie

Archived