Complete France Forum

Green mould on security fence.

JohnRoss

Got a white painted metal security fence with green mould all over it. Any suggestions how to clean it up. Tried 9.6% Javel diluted slightly and sprayed on with little good effect. A small hand brush and a bucket of water seems to work but very slow. So what other chemicals could I try that will not eat the paint?...........................................JR

Starbright do an anti mousse liquid that will get rid of mould. At least I hope so because I intend to use it on the West facings of our house. It may not be the correct stuff for a painted surface. If you do try it then be prepaired to wait a couple of weeks for a result.

If it is a painted surface surely it will wipe off, but obviously not! Another thing that may work is a pressure washer. Carcher is the one that every Frenchman seem to have?

Tried industrial strength Javel on the house walls, crepi finish, left for half an hour and the hozed off. Worked very well. Tried a Karcher but it knocked of lots of little bits of crepi so not too good. Tried the anti-mould stuff but found it not as effective as Javel. Coming back to the fence tried javel but not effective so I could try the anti-mould stuff again but not hopeful. Have to buy or borrow the karcher power washer again but don't know what effect it will have on the white paint, still worth a try I suppose......................................JR

PS What about this blue liquid used on the veg plot against blight/mildew, any good for mould? 

[quote user="JohnRoss"]

Tried industrial strength Javel on the house walls, crepi finish, left for half an hour and the hozed off. Worked very well. [/quote]

We were advised to use 4.8% javel diluted to 1 part to 20; to spray the crepied walls with this solution and then to wait. This we did and the results were good but it did need a couple od days for the completely clean effect to occur.

Sue

what type of paint is fence protected with??

if an epoxy then i would expect the javel could be applied and left to dry so it can kill the mildew.

the stain left should then be washed with a scubbing brush and javel--use wife's yellow gloves or get her to do it---she is prbably like most women a good cleaner  ---------  unlike us fellas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

then rinse off /wash with clean water

If you are going to use javel on crepie then I would be VERY careful. We have been advised by several people in the building trade that javel will degrade crepi. I used it on a small test patch of one of our West facing walls and the staining has disapeared, but I am now wondering to what detrimental effect on the crepi. I have been convinced enough to not use it again!!!

I wil wait and see how effective the anit-mousse is on the front garden wall. I had a look at it this morning and the staining has gone blackish and I will wait to see the final result?

If your security fence is a good quality fence it has probably been powder coated and should be virtually bullet proof and I am surprised that it has got green mould on it at all.What ever you use to get rid of it then it should be impervious to almost any chemical? Is it in continuous shade?

Archived