Complete France Forum

piscine pump

g8vkv

Hi,

Our piscine pump is a Silencio SI100M - a 'standard' single phase, capacitor start motor.

We just got back from a 2 week stint in GB and I noticed that the piscine surface was pretty dirty.

I found out that the pump hadn't been coming on and was, in fact, pretty hot. I let it cool down and switched it on - it just hummed for a few seconds and then the protection relay kicked in and switched it off.

I removed the rear cooling fan cover and by spinning the fan blades, I could get the motor to start. It then seemed to run OK - plenty of welly.

I then noticed that the capacitor had some gunge oozing from it (at first I thought it was some sort of deadening material - looks like epoxy foam). Took the thing out and the body was split - measured it with my trusty meter and it showed 0 capacitance but not short circuited.

It's a bog standard 16 muf non-electrolytic 450 v.a.c radial capacitor - is there a good place to buy a replacement that doesn't charge premium prices?

I'm wondering if the direct lightning strike we had before going to GB caused it? - it knackered the EDF compteur and blew one of the prise circuits.

[quote user="g8vkv"]Hi,

- it just hummed for a few seconds

It's a bog standard 16 muf non-electrolytic 450 v.a.c radial capacitor - is there a good place to buy a replacement that doesn't charge premium prices?

I'm wondering if the direct lightning strike we had before going to GB caused it? - it knackered the EDF compteur and blew one of the prise circuits.
[/quote]

What was it humming? [:D]

I saw on another thread about a month back that R.S have shops in France, try a search for radio spares on the forum.

We have replaced 2 capacitors like this in 3 years. Not sure why they suddenly fail but we hadn't had any thunderstorms at the time so am sure that wasn't the cause. Ours both oozed the same grey gunge which solidified on the surface of the capacitor. Otherwise there was no damage to the pump. Ours have the same rating as yours and I got them replaced at a local plumber/pool shop - cost about 10 Euros I think.

Peter

Archived