Complete France Forum

Winterising a pool: v basic questions

osie

Hi

I have read the points on winterising a pool and have to ask a few basic questions.

I have a liner pool with the engine room underground and no winter covering.  I balance the PH using chlor tablets and it has been very maintenance free this year.  The PH which use to be very alkaline seems to have been helped by the acid rain this year.  So i have not needed much PH-, just a few tablets each week.  The water is very clear and blue.  There are a few leaves in the pool as I have just removed the robot cleaner, as it is starting to get icy out there, but there are still some leaves being blown around.  For some reason I filled the pool with fresh water quite alot this autumn probably due to water evaporation.

Am I wrong to assume that all I need to do is... turn the motor off and put an empty plastic bucket in the pool, and add some chlor choc for a bit of a clean.

Thanks

osie

osie you have lots more to do, I can't answer now as I am going out but I will try later. You should try and get hold of a large bache to cover your pool over winter. You need to drain down the pump, filter and pipe work. It would be worth you choc'ing the pool but only if you are going to cover it.

Hi teapot

I was under the impression that a cover for the pool was not necessary... I also did not think it was necessary to drain the pump as it is under the pool in its own little room... all be it, not very warm.

In fact it has not had a cover for many years now due to its odd shape and being quite big too and it has not been drained in the winter in the past.

If it is very recommended to do these tasks then I will do them however I would prefer not to as I would not want to cause more problems by doing so.  Especially with the pool I do realise that so many things can go wrong that I prefer to only do the things that I know are fool proof.

Looking forward to your return

osie

Osie,

Generally speaking the winter cover keeps out the crud, leaves etcetera. It may be that your pools does not suffer from leaves it just helps when it is uncovered during the spring. Even a large bache does not costs much from a Brico and you will probably save that in products and hours when you open up.

The last few years have been quite warm so you have got away with not draining down but its a big risk for a few hours spent doing it properly. If we get a bad winter you will be buying a new pump next year.

Check and adjust your chemical levels.

It is a good idea to drain down some of the water to make up for rainfall in winter and the addition of a bit of fresh water in the spring. Generally just below the skimmer.

You can buy a plug to block the skimmer and return jets, then drain down the pipe work, remove the plug from the bottom of your sand filter (if you have one) remove the plug from your pump. this will prevent the pump splitting if it freezes full of water.

Open the valve on your filter.

It is better to remove the valve from the top or open the top of the sand filter to allow the sand to dry out and prevent the growth of bacteria over winter.

These are just general notes as we have not seen your set up, be careful if your little pump room becomes flooded if you are draining things down as water and electricty are not a good match.

Hi Teapot

Thanks for the advice... I must say that I never knew I could drain the pump and the big second world war bomb(filter) I imagined would explode if i touched it.

Nevertheless, I am going to have a look at doing the things you suggested once I have found a stopper for the inlet/outlets. I have also got poolguys advice for winterising too.

I guess the general principal is to block the pool holes so no water can come out, then open up the pump so that the pipes are without water and open the filter so that the water can drain out.  In doing so, I think I should also open the vidage handle to drain any water in the pipes.

With the sand filter, can I presume that the sand will not drain out when I open the filter?

Will I find a cheap 12*6 bache in mr bricolage... I will have a look.

Thanks

osie

[quote user="osie"]Hi Teapot

Thanks for the advice... I must say that I never knew I could drain the pump and the big second world war bomb(filter) I imagined would explode if i touched it.

With the sand filter, can I presume that the sand will not drain out when I open the filter? he [:D]he [:D]he [:D] no it won't

Thanks
osie

[/quote]

Archived