Complete France Forum

When to open pool and comence chlorination

chirpy

When should you  open up your pool?

Today  I was told that it is ok to leave until water temperature is at 18 centigrade.!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the past I have started chlorinating and circulating the pool water when it was above 10 centigrade .

thanks

[8-)]I HAVE CURED LEAKS AND REPLACED TOP OF SAND FILTER.

THE QUESTION I WOULD LIKE AN ANSWER TO IS AT WHAT TEMPERATURE DOES ALGAE COMMENCE TO GROW IN A SALT WATER SWIMMING POOL.

THE LOCAL POOL SHOP ADVISED NOT STARTING UP YET AND I THINK THEY ARE WRONG TO WAIT UNTILWATER TEMPERATURE IS 18 CENTIGRADE.

I DO NOT WANT TO SWIM AT 18--I PREFER 26CENTIGRADE MINIMUM!!![8-)]

Algae growth in pools generally commences at 10 degrees +, that does not mean as soon as 10 degrees is reached your pool will turn green. There are different types of Algae, green stringy yellow and black are the most common in pools. If your pool water is correctly balanced and has a good level of sanitiser in it then you can leave it longer, however if the pump is not circulating the water through the filter then you are inviting algae to grow. If your water is not balanced correctly and the sanitiser level drops as a result of the algae starting to grow and therefore the sanitiser being used up quicker then you can have a problem. The sun's rays have UV which helps to kill the algae but they can't penetrate the winter cover. Yellow and black algae can be difficult to kill and like the darkened area under your winter cover where it's also nice and warm.

Algae by itself may not be attractive but is not the whole problem, algae is a great food source for bacteria and that can be a problem especially in a sand filter where it takes up residency.

On the plus side your pool is shut off from the airbourne algae that come to life in the spring so that may help initially.

Pool shop advice, some good some bad, when you have a problem they will certainly be able to sell you a vast range of products to cure it. Opening up the pool which is salt water chlorinated is only going to cost you a bit of electricty and a dose of shock no chemicals other than the regular PH minus and cyanuric acid and a top up of salt if required.

My pool is still covered as I am not back in France until next week, then I will open it up.

WHAT IS A TANTRIC BUILDER??A BUILDER IN TANTRUM'S--YOU HAVE ME PUZZLED.[:D]

MY POOL IS NOW UNCOVERED AND I AM TOPPING UP SALT LEVEL AND THE PREVIOUS POST HAS GOT IT RIGHT -I AM A WIMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT I HAVE GONE TO LIBYA DURING THE FIRST IRAQ WAR WHEN TRAVEL ON BUSINESS WAS NOT NECESSARY IF YOU WERE AFRAID.!!!!SO THERE!!!![:P]

cheers i know you did not call me a wimp -just saving a post .

i never could make a 10 minute job last more than 5 minutss-if you know what i mean--I have  a French niehbour called odile --perhaps it's him sending me messages[:D]

Archived