Complete France Forum

Chlorine production

JohnRoss

I have a Bio Pool chlorine producing system for a salt water pool. Is there any value in reversing the connections to the electrolytic cell from time to time? This unit does not auto reverse as the current indicator, which I have temporarily connected in series with one of the electrodes, shows current always flowing in the same direction. Electrode current seems normal, just a tad over 10 amps, but chlorine production seems a little lower than usual despite being on 100% setting. I could add more salt but electrode current is near the top limit for the box. The unit is 9 years old and given good service up until now.........JR

Hi and no signs of calcium on the 5 plates, all the same colour black. I have tried reversing the connections to the cell and interesting result. On switch-on the current was much the same but within a few seconds had fallen to less than 1 amp. On putting the connections back to normal the current was again just over 10 amps. Reversing again, same result, weird! I did this some years ago and I don't remember getting this effect then. I guess it would suggest that the cell has become polarized in some way. Any harm in leaving it reverse connected for a bit to see if anything flakes off or changes I wonder?...........JR

Sorry I am a bit thick today! Are you saying that doing this might duff up the PSU? Don't think it is already knacked as ok when connected normally. Have now reconnected it the right way and current once again normal. No signs of flaking on the plates. Any further thoughts anyone?.......................JR

• 1 month later...

It's difficult to say JR. I noticed that the new chlorinators alternate the polarity to self clean and also some are now able to work well on lower salt levels so must have beefed up power supplies.

The important thing is it's still working.and as long as you can produce enough chlorine to keep your pool safe, what % power setting do you usually run at?

Archived