Complete France Forum

It's that time of year again - thinking about a pool.

We have now dithered for few years about getting an in-ground pool (say 10 x 5 ish) and are beginning to realise they won't get cheaper, the pound won't get much stronger if at all and we're getting older and soon we won't even have the strength to swim in one anyway.

We fancy the concrete filled polystyrene block wall type and wonder if all of you with all sorts of pools have any advice or regrets about your choice. It's a pretty much once in a lifetime decision and it would be good to cut down the chances of it all going wrong.

The location is 17.

I think they are the best choice right now, very easy to construct, very strong if poured in one go so you could leave them empty if you needed too and the bonus of insulation which may allow the water to stay a degree or two warmer. It is true that most of the heat loss from a pool is evaporation from the surface but a good pool cover it will help. 

There are very efficient eco pumps around now that save 40-50% of the electricity used by the old type and if you go salt water chlorination new efficient power supplies that save around 40% of the electricity of the old versions.  If you prefer direct chlorination there are small pumps for chlorine and PH adjustments that won't break the bank and mean the chemicals will look after themselves a bit more. 

We bought a quality 6.5 metre round 'above-ground' pool and have been very pleased with it.

It was far less money than an in-ground one, its serves its purpose (cooling off when its hot) and is, after 6 years, almost as good as it was when I installed it.

It is screened and partially sunk into our sloping garden and has half-decking at top-level.

One important point with these pools is not to bury them but leave an air-gap around the part thats in the ground. Burying them in contact with the ground can invalidate the warranty.

Thanks for the PM Pouyade. I don't know how to reply by PM so my thanks are here.

Yes, poly block and 1.5m deep throughout seems the way we probably want to go. But we need to think about so many other aspects too. I want to make sure we leave an option for solar heating even if it's not installed at first.

Anybody know any contractors ? It's too big a DIY job for us!

Archived