Complete France Forum

Air type noise from multi port valve?

Last Monday I changed the pump and sand filter on a neighbours pool. The new kit went in a dream with all of the pipework lining up no problem and no leaks!

Tuesday the lady who has the pool heard a noise from the region of the multi port valve and there was a small air bubble in the cover for the pre-pump filter basket. When the pump is switched off the bubble gets bigger. This morning I went round to see what the problem could be and the noise is definately from the MPV and with the pump off if you push the MPV handle down as if to change the position you can here air entering the valve housing.

I also tried it with the MPV set to Recirculate, to isolate the filter, and there was no noise from the valve. The bubble in the pump pre-filter top gets quite small.

I noticed that there was no shut of valve for the backwash pipe and as I had a spare one I fitted it as I had had a similar problem when I hadn't turned the backwash stop valve off completely. It partially stopped the air entering the valve, but not completely.

I am at a loss as to what the problem is? Any ideas please? I repeat that there are no leaks in the pipework

Could be the spider gasket in the multivalve, they don't last forever. You should be able to get one at most pool shops, simple to strip down and clean and replace (caveat Usually) [:)]

If you are drawing in air from somewhere running a hose over the connections etc will temporarily stop the air being drawn in. Oh and check the obvious first, the pump pre filter O ring in the lid [Www]

Possibly not the seal TP? It would have only lasted for a day or so because it's a brand new Haward filter[:D] Also, it doesn't make the same amount of noise when the filter is taken out of circulation.. I have changed the spider seal in our MPV several years back now and as you say, simple to do..

If I can't find the reason I think that she will have to contact the place she got it from in Carcassonne? I wouldn't like to start stripping it down and invalidate the warrenty.

Edit : - Just had as enior moment there. I checked the seal on the pump filter lid and put some more vaselene on it, it came with a fair amount on it, and I'm pretty certain it isn't leaking there. It's a new pump too.

There is only a small air bubble in the top of the pre-pump filter lid when it is running. It purges almost all of the air when it starts up. The thing that I don't understand is just how can air get into the MPV when it's under nearly 1 bar pressure? Air is the only thing that I can think of that would make the noise? Almost like a sharp crackling noise.

Archived