Complete France Forum

pump start up

chirpy

After winterising pool and draining pumps aand filters ,today I started to set pool up again as the water level is very high with all this rain.

Everything fitted,BUT I forgot to fill up the filter before putting the top on.I switched on and got a humming sound.

Switched off immediately and opened the filter top and water started to rise up inside itI .re-tightened top  and tried pump again.Still humming when switched on.

What could be problem  pump is a HYDROSWIM 1,CV   ,WHATEVER THAT MEANS .I AM 74 YRS YOUNG AND TRYING TO GET A GRIP ON THESE THINGS,THANKS.[:D]

Is THIS A DIY FIX?

Sounds to me like the pump is "siezed" as the humming means that the electricity is getting to the pump. This can often happen after a period of inactivity such as winterisation.  If you can get to the pump shaft or the parts that rotate, use either a spanner or screwdriver to try to rotate the pump manually as this should "break" the siezure.  If it is too difficult to rotate by hand or is extremely stiff after manually rotatating then you may have a bearing failure, but this is more likely to happen during operation than as a result of winterisation.

Rgds

I managed to take pump out and the capaciter looks fine and local repair shop found pump would not turn,so water has got past seals onto windings probably too.

Guy will strip it down next week and AT LEAST IT WILL NOT BE A NEW PUMP, and be cheaper to do this.Fingers crossed and weather too cold for algae to begin in Haute vienne.

I hope it's cheaper too, don't be slow in asking for a devis though people have posted about nasty surprises after repairs have been done in France bearings are one thing windings quite another.  If you do need a new pump consider the new Eco models, initial outlay is higher (naturally) but the saving in electricity is staggering, payback in 12-18 months then just saving.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite ,as previously done , draining pump this winter the repair shop said the aluminium body around the moter had cracked and a new pump necessary!!Think I will go back to winter circulation in future!!

Either a seal had allowed wate in or a small amount of water around in this severe freezing winter caused problem!

This on top of new discs on car does not bode well !!

Sorry to hear the news Chirpy (or not so Chirpy).

I wouldn't suggest a replacement motor as if there is a seal problem and it was to leak again...........

Your 1 CV, 1 hp in old money would use around 1200-1400w of electricity and hour and pumps a maximum of 24m3 /h.  An Eco pump would use around 240-320w for almost the same (23m3/ h) so the saving in electricity is very good.

You didn't say how big your pool is or how many skimmers returns or main drains you have?