Complete France Forum

So when will I be able to move?

Greetings, all.

I'm planning on taking (slightly) early retirement & moving to France in the next few years. It was going to be sooner but life has got very complicated. In order not to have to bridge a gap by taking out private cover (pre-existing heart condition), ideally  I want to move to france at the start of an E106 that will run out on my 65th birthday (give or take a week). I do understand that the new rules are not fully clear yet and you can't trust the bar stewards not to change them again but based on my understanding of the current rules on both sides of the channel the following looks sensible.

At 65 I qualify for a UK pension, so I'll be covered by an E121 and just need a top-up (No change from old rules.) When I leave the UK I'll be eligible for an E106 as I'll have been employed for the previous 10+ years, so again I'll just need a top-up.

Two questions: Have I got my assumptions right? Does anyone have a link to somewhere I can get a definitive set of rules for how long the E106 lasts?.

I've been having fun finding out how long an E106 is likely to be valid for. I think it's a bit more than 2 years depending on when you actually move over. However, there have been all sorts of dates quoted in posts on here. I seems to depend on whether you are employed or self-employed, what time of year you leave and the size of your granddad's shirt collar.

Hi Albert the Info Gipsy?

How long an E106 covers you for is a function of whether you are employed or self employed, and when you want your E106 to run from, in relation to the Tax year you are in.  I can only comment on my own experience as an (ex)employed person.

If you are employed, and you wanted your E106 to run from say the end of April, then it would only be valid until the January of the year after next IE E106 30 April 2008, valid until Jan 2010, because in the 2008/2009 tax year you have paid insufficient tax to qualify for another year.  I can't give you an exact figure for the amount of tax you have to have paid, but there would come a point sometime in 2008 when you would have paid sufficient tax, and then you would be able to get an E106 to cover you until Jan 2011. 

So you can see you can get an E106 to be valid for approx. 2.5 years, but it is a delicate balancing act.

I do know the rules are different for a self-employed person, but I don't know what they are.

Hope this helps.

There is no extra year, you can normally get up to a maximum of two years although some by a quirk have got 2 .5 years. 

The time to go is Jan /Feb, so that you get an E 106 valid until the end of  the year after.  There is a guide in Faq's to how to do it, http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/465533/ShowPost.aspx

it allreally depends on your birthday but you should be able to leave the UK around your 63rd birthday and get cover until 65th birthday, but if your birthday is late in the year you may only get just over a year.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

although some by a quirk have got 2 .5 years. 

[/quote]

Ron, I don't think it is a quirk, but as described in my answer, my understanding is you can get the next two Calendar years after the year in which it is issued, plus the bit of the Calendar year it is issued PROVIDED you have paid enough tax in the Tax year it is issued.  I base this information on what I was told by the person in Newcastle.  Our E106's ran from June 2006 to Jan 2008.  I enquired why they didn't run until Jan 2009, and she asked me if I had paid x amount of tax in the 2006/2007 tax year and when I said no, she said that it why. I have looked at the link provided, and can only assume, it also depends on which operator you get![:D]  It may well be that for the OP an E106 issued in september of year one would cover until the end of year 3, i.e. 2 and a bit years.

Archived