Complete France Forum

BREAKING NEWS ON EXPAT HEALTH COVER

I don't think the French have thought this through.

If (and I hope it is not the case) non actives are forced to sell up and move back to the UK, which in itself will not be easy for most of us, the local econemy will suffer greatly. We live in department 23 where our contributions and that of many others, to local businesses such as  tradesmen, Bricolages, Champions, Bakers, Butchers, La Poste and much more will surely be missed. Not to mention all of the estate agents who have made a tidy sum from us Brits. This region was very poor until we boosted the econemy and I am sure a lot of villages and towns will feel this pinch if we depart.

What happens if we register as unemployed, what benefits will we be entitled to.

We have been here for 18 months now are loving every minute of it. Would hate something such as this to get in the way of a perfect life.

Anxious Eniamor

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to at least one Estate Agent, it won't be so bad

http://www.responsesource.com:80/releases/rel_display.php?relid=34163&hilite [blink]

I guess it would be bad for business if he pointed out that anybody with an existing illness or chronic condition won't be able to get any health cover at all.  Or that if you're both nearer 60 than 50, that those costs he quotes are more than triple if they provide anything like the cover you get from the state system.

"Signing on" does not entitle you to benefits as one of the conditions of residence (which have allowed the French government to interpret the rules in this way) state that you can only live here if you are not a burden on the state.  However, it may allow access to the CMU eventually, but it's debatable, as you haven't paid cotisations here all your life, as French nationals or those who have worked or run a business have. 

You're quite right that moving back to UK could be nigh on impossible for some, especially as property can take a very long time to sell in France, but look at it from the French side too.

If there is a mass exodus with desperation selling then property prices will inevitably suffer as a consequence from which French people could potentially profit with some locals perhaps able to afford a house which they couldn't previously.

You could possibly add to the equation that many houses renovated by Brits might not be to French taste thus depressing their prices further.

Your argument for the Estate Agents is a bit off too as surely they stand to make more by getting a second bite of the cherry !

Registering as unemployed Coops has covered.

Coops;

Visited your link and this is the second time I've seen it stated that an E106 can be valid for up to 2.5 years. I thought it was a maximum of 2 years, and then only if you timed it right, so where does 2.5 years come from I wonder ?

On a sombre note.

The thought struck me this afternoon in the

workshop.....Is it possible we will hear, in the next 12 months, of

someone who, with serious medical problems and no private health

insurance, has decided to take the ultimate way out and topped

themselves? Will anyone actually care or will it be another "statistic"

?

just a thought!

[quote user="cooperlola"]It's what my o/h got Ernie.  Arrived end of August, got the rest of that year and two more![/quote]Interesting Coops, perhaps the mods might get the FAQ edited to mention the possibility. I'd certainly time it accordingly if it meant I could retire up to 6 months sooner [8-|]

By my calculation that makes 2 years and 4 months which is not a half unless you work for a 24 hour news station[:P]  This is the same as another poster got on a parallel thread, started by sharkster?, but these additional months are rare, the maximum is normally two years and many get less, its all down to timing and  how much NI you have paid in the last year of work.

I would suspect that in many cases the additional NI paid for a couple of months in the UK far outweighs the cost of most people's CMU bill for a quarter.

Arhhhh but coops threw in the actual dates later,  and the end date is not a normal one either.  If you read the FAQs http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/465533/ShowPost.aspx

from a lady who used to work in the section issuing E Forms, she says all E106s finish at the beginning of january, around 1 - 8th, so 99.979% of us got two years or less.

From the British Embasst Paris Website

People below retirement age, who are not working, may be eligible for a Form E106. This form is issued for a maximum of 30 months and is dependant on the recent past payment of UK National Insurance contributions in the UK.

Can we move on now. PLEASE. 30 months equals 2.5 years. Cooperlola was right !!!!

I was fortunate enough to have lunch with a "Legal Expert" and got some free advice.

The two points to press for are,

Extending the E106 cover for Expats until they reach retirement age

Acquired Rights Directive - apply the same logic.

Joshua [:D]

[quote user="cooperlola"]Right, Ron, I make that 2.5 years, do you?[:D][/quote]

Who said this?

"The E106 will entitle you to health care for a period depending on your circumstances, normally a maximum of two years"

Give you a guess Coops, you pay them premiums for your healthcare[:P][:P]

Sorry Josh, but we will try to move on when news breaks, at the moment I am waiting for my letter safe in the knowledge that I am in for another 3 months as the US air force have just taken my dosh[:D].

I don't think this response on Jim Murpheys blog has been posted (I searched but couldn't find it) At least he says that clarification is still being sought

Healthcare in France

Several of you have raised the issue of changes in eligibility for health care services in France, which will affect early retirees to France from other European countries, including the UK. I appreciate that this is a matter of urgent concern for many people.

The Department of Health in the UK and the British Embassy in Paris are in contact with the French authorities on this issue, and we will seek further clarification of what the implications will be for UK nationals. I understand that the French government has now decided that for those people already living in France the proposed changes to healthcare eligibility will not take effect until 31 March 2008ht (11 October)

Two people have already pointed out that people whose E106 runs out will be affected earlier.

Any Comments on the following,

Non-discrimination in comparison to nationals

As a rule, the social security legislation of the country in which

you are insured entitles you to have the same rights and obligations as

nationals of that country.

This means, in particular, that your claim for benefit may not be

rejected for the sole reason that you are not a national of that State.

You may always invoke the principle of equality of treatment.

As the Court of Justice of the European Communities has decided,

this applies not only to forms of "direct" discrimination but also to

all forms of hidden ("indirect") discrimination where, in theory, a

provision of national legislation applies equally to nationals and

foreigners, but, in practice, is found to be disadvantageous for

foreigners.

Important

It may sometimes be difficult to determine whether a given provision

constitutes "hidden" discrimination. Do not hesitate to ask for more

detailed information when you feel that the national legislation

discriminates your rights.

In many cases, the principle of equal treatment is not sufficient to

protect migrant workers if they or members of their families reside

outside the State under whose legislation they are insured, or if the

worker in question has a "broken" insurance record completed under the

legislations of two or more States. There are special provisions for

cases such as these, which are dealt with in Sections below.

Finally, you should not forget your obligations under the

legislation of the State in which you are insured. This applies in the

first place to the obligation to pay social insurance contributions but

also to all other obligations to which the nationals of that State are

subject.

Joshua

Yes, this has been quoted before, maybe not on this particular thread, there are so many threads now on this topic.

All it means is that there is a possibility that those without E forms but 5 years continuous residence may be allowed to stay in the CMU.  However, if the right to the CMU is withdrawn from inactif French nationals under the state retirement age then that hope goes down the toilet.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

However, if the right to the CMU is withdrawn from inactif French nationals under the state retirement age then that hope goes down the toilet.

[/quote]As I've said somewhere else, an action like this would be almost guaranteed to get the tractors to Calais !

And anyway, I would imagine that the majority French "inactifs" could, as a counter move, legitimately register as unemployed but with as much chance of getting a job as that of Gordon Brown telling the truth !

If the French 'inactifs' are in that position through early retirement, they would probably not be able to become unemployed because the French scheme for early retirement means that they are replaced by somebody from the unemployment register. Therefore if they then became officially unemployed it would have no effect on the figures. Other inactifs will probably be on the register anyway. The problem as far as readers of this forum are concerned is that few immigrant inactifs will be eligible to be in receipt of any unemployment benefit because they will not have worked in France. However, you could be right - who knows what Sarko will do in the near future; he has already made very clear his dislike of early retirement and otherwise inactive people.

Archived